AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

high competition keywords

P P
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
P P
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello there,

I'm a relatively inexperienced advertiser who has been only recently introduced with the concept of google adwords. I'm both impressed and overwhelmed by the volume and differentiation of the data points that this tool can generate.

I'm working on a PPC campaign for promoting a mobile app development service specifically to taxi companies ie apps like uber. However, being low on budget, i don't know if using high competition keywords with low/high search volumes would be productive and profitable for my campaign. Could some one please throw light on this issue.

Regards

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author P P
September 2015

Re: high competition keywords

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello,

My first concern here would be your monthly spend which you are willing to spend on Google. If you are comfortable spending more, then of course you are most welcome to bid on highly competitive keywords in the beginning. 

So the idea is to first streamline what keywords you would like to target and how much you are willing to spend. Ad Rank, Quality Score etc...would come into picture later when you start optimizing your account.

Of course you need to make sure that you have an excellent CTR, you are implementing ad extensions effectively and making the best use of the keyword matching options to tweak your campaigns.

My Thoughts!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

If you have a low budget, then you should be using Keyword Planner to identify set of keywords which would really make a business sense for your account and then use the traffic estimator available inside the tool to see how those particular set of keywords might perform for you. Of course what you will be getting will all be the estimates and you shouldn't be blindly following them, but the idea is to use it for some benchmark which you need to accomplish.

Read more on how to use the Keyword Planner here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2999770?hl=en

Also this help center reference is worth giving a read: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453981?hl=en

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
P P
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
P P
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Pankaj,

Thank you for the insights. The articles provided were very helpful.

However, my one question remains unanswered -

whether should i avoid using high competition keywords even if they're relevant to my ads and landing pages ?
In my understanding of google adwords, a lot of stuff goes into deciding my ad rank, and i think that using high competition keywords leads me to higher competition for my ad copies which subjects me to more scrutiny, as a result of which more factors would come into play than i can understand or control.

If i stick to low/medium competition keywords, can ad relevance and landing page experience be better controlled by me? Will other factors matter less in deciding my ad rank ?
Please elaborate.

Thank you.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author P P
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello,

My first concern here would be your monthly spend which you are willing to spend on Google. If you are comfortable spending more, then of course you are most welcome to bid on highly competitive keywords in the beginning. 

So the idea is to first streamline what keywords you would like to target and how much you are willing to spend. Ad Rank, Quality Score etc...would come into picture later when you start optimizing your account.

Of course you need to make sure that you have an excellent CTR, you are implementing ad extensions effectively and making the best use of the keyword matching options to tweak your campaigns.

My Thoughts!

Pankaj