AdWords
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

gFound low competition keywords with high cpc. How can I select the appropriate ones?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am about to start writing my blog and I was searching for keywords which are suitable for my niche. Today, I found suitable keywords with low competition and high searches per month. But, the only thing which hinders me now is that the bids on those keywords are quite high.

I am a new blogger, so I don't want to make a mistake by selecting the keywords which are into high cpc competition and hence give me hard time in ranking my blog even after months of hard work. How to approach in this kind of keyword research and keyword selection?

Looking forward to some help!!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: gFound low competition keywords with high cpc. How can I select the appropriate ones?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Angela,

A catch 22 Smiley Happy

Are you using the Keyword Planner?

What is the goal? Traffic? Is the blog monetized - as in do you have ads running on it? Do you have a product you are selling? Services you are offering? etc. It would help us give you some good feedback on your question plus maybe some additional ideas you had not gotten into yet e.g. remarketing.

Thanks,
Kim

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Re: gFound low competition keywords with high cpc. How can I select the appropriate ones?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Kim,

Thanks for the reply. I was waiting for one.

Yes, I am using keyword planner to research for the keywords.

My goal is to get some earning from my blog (not too much) in couple of months. Although, I am quite sure that I will be able to keep it very informative and user friendly. I have no product to sell, I am thinking about amazon affiliation and some other affiliate memberships related to shopping.

Also, I have no plans of spending on ads or re-marketing in the beginning. My main goal in the beginning is to create informative articles and bring in the traffic to the blog. The thing which I am not sure about is that the number of searches and the low competition is good enough to work on that topic or not? Everyone says that a good content will work anyway. But, I know about SEO and marketing, I believe that keyword research comes first.

The keywords that I found are being searched between 800 - 35,000 times a month and all are low competition. Please let me know if the volumes I am looking at are good enough to start? What will be the benefit or role of these search volumes and competition analysis while starting my blog?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
More than anything and with my own blog, I simply retarget blog visitors to get them back as the primary way to do it, specifically for those who ready more than one post. This works really good and I recommend it.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
With AdWords, low competition merely means that few advertisers are bidding on the keyword. They may be well funded and bid up the CPC.

If you are starting a blog for work and they have cash to burn, then sure, use AdWords.

If you are starting a personal blog and hope to earn a good income after a few years of consistent work, then you should try to rank free in Google's regular, organic search results. There's a lot of garbage advice for this objective. I'd suggest you look at Spencer Haws' blog, Niche Pursuits. He has a BA in business and an MBA too. Focus on his recent articles - things change fast.

Good luck!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Oh, so you want to earn a little money in a couple of months!

Get this straight: The "low competition" you see in the AdWords keyword tool has nothing to do with competition to rank in the regular, organic Google search results.

This forum is for people who spend big bucks on advertising.

YOU want to scurry over to Niche Pursuits and learn how to do affiliate marketing - including keyword research.