2.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

experiment control groups versus experiments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to test four different ad texts for a new campaign. I would like to use the experiment mode since it automatically measures statistical differences.

The problem is that I have no 'control' group. I have four different new ads (experiments) that I want to compare to one another. Is it possible? The experimental settings require me to set a ratio of experimental to control changes.

I guess I could just set it up as a regular (not experimental) campaign and force the ads to rotate evenly and force them to use the same manual bid?

Thanks for the advice.

Michael

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael H
September 2015

Re: experiment control groups versus experiments

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Michael

You are correct!!;

This is very confusing with testing different ad-copies  (Since, your control group is actually your current ad with the current ad-copy)

When testing ad-copy I recommend switching to an even rotation (of ads ), and test which ads are performing better. This is the easiest way, that after a short time  shows  results that are statistically significant . (You don't need a  "statistical analysis" by the system "to accept" an ad-text with a CTR twice or 3 times better than the original text...)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael H
September 2015

Re: experiment control groups versus experiments

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Michael

You are correct!!;

This is very confusing with testing different ad-copies  (Since, your control group is actually your current ad with the current ad-copy)

When testing ad-copy I recommend switching to an even rotation (of ads ), and test which ads are performing better. This is the easiest way, that after a short time  shows  results that are statistically significant . (You don't need a  "statistical analysis" by the system "to accept" an ad-text with a CTR twice or 3 times better than the original text...)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’