AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

exact search term used by a certain visitor?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

In my server logs I can see a visitor that converted on my website.

The referring url is totally scrambled, so I can't tell what was the search term.

Since it was tracked as a conversion on GA's end, I can eliminate all keywords that didn't have any conversion at all for that day, but I'm still left with about 5 keywords that did converted.

So considering all that (plus the fact that I know his IP, and exact time of entry - though in GA I can segmenet the time to "day" at the most rather then hours/minutes), Is there a way to track down the search term that he used?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: exact search term used by a certain visitor?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Jay
In google analytics you can get breakdown by the hours in a day as a dimension that could show you what you are looking for. Try checking conversions against against "minutes" as a secondary dimension in search query report of analytics.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi there,

You can pull a search term report (also add the'keyword' column from customize columns) for that day to find those 5 search terms with conversions. By comparing this to your web logs, you can find out the missing search term.

- Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hello, Jay.

If the conversion was recorded in Analytics (hopefully as an E-Commerce transaction), you can go, in Google Analytics, to Conversions -> E-Commerce -> Sales Performance and you'll have all Transaction IDs there.

By using "Matched Search Query" as the "Secondary Dimension" you can pull, for every transaction, the search query that triggered it.

If you, however, do not have a unique identifier for that visitor (such as the transaction ID which should be unique), you'll have to find other ways (other segments) to figure out the search query.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
for a particular day, The search term reports returns : "Not enough data to show particular queries." it works only I'f I'm looking at the whole month.

anyway though, this solution is not optimal, I need something that would help me tell right away without starting comparisons.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I don't use Google Analytics, and am not interested to use it.

I'm an Adwords customer - why can't this paid product include much more particular segments such as breaking time by hours and minutes, while Google analytics can?

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner
Jay

Analytics and Adwords go hand in hand Like "peanut butter & Jelly" The products are designed to work in conjunction with each other to give you detailed information about every aspect of your Site traffic.

Being Not Interested in Adding Google Analytics you are just shooting yourself in the foot as optimizing your Account to the fullest, and maximizing your profits and increasing your ROI.

I run major Adwords accounts and all decisions are based on the Analytics data in Analytics First and Foremost.

The answers you seek are all In Analytics.

Your Questions "why can't this paid product include much more particular segments such as breaking time by hours and minutes, while Google analytics can?" -- Simple because all that data is in Analytics and the programs are created to sync and work in conjunction with each other.