1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

entity limit when trying to update targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So I am trying to update my targeting for active campaigns (adding zip codes, excluding zips, counties, etc), but when I try to save, I get the following error:

"Exceeded entity limit in this account. Limit type: Campaign criteria per account. Existing count: 1004958. Limit: 1000000."

What do I need to do to reduce my "count" and do I have to do this in AdWords Editor or can it be done in regular AdWords?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

You are hitting a limit of 1,000,000 campaign criteria per account. This counts geo targets and exclusions, as well as campaign-level keyword exclusions, placement exclusions and so on. The limit is imposed by the AdWords system; Editor is just the messenger.

You would need to delete some criteria before you can add more, so that you stay under the limit. You can use any tool to delete criteria, doesn't have to be done in Editor.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, so deleting criteria...how do I do this and also, how do I know what to delete?

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Well, you'd have to decide which criteria you can live without, and delete those. Perhaps you have paused campaigns that you don't plan to run - criteria under such campaigns still count against the limit. If you delete those campaigns, you'll free up some space (but of course you won't be able to re-activate those campaigns later, the way you can with paused ones; they are gone for good).

As to how. In Editor, select the rows in the grid that you want to delete, and press Delete key (or choose Edit > Remove from the menu). Once satisfied with your changes, click Post to actually make them live in your AdWords accout.

In the AdWords online interface, check the checkboxes next to rows you want to delete, click Edit button right above the grid, then Remove.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

More than perfect.  Didn't realize it would be that easy.  I have a few campaigns I don't need any longer, so deleting them won't be a problem.  Looks like it's working now.  Thank you for your help!!