AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

efficient way to compare the assisted conversion value of devices?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

What is the _most efficient_ way to compare the assisted conversion value of different devices?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: efficient way to compare the assisted conversion value of devices?

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Nils,

To start with, are you using Google Analytics to track the value of your conversions?

Cassie

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Cassie,

thanks for your response, and yes , i am using GA Smiley Happy

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Nils,

Awesome! In that case, you should be able to look at that data within GA. Within the Reporting section, you can go to Conversions > Multi-Channel Funnels > Assisted Conversions. Then near the bottom of the page (above the table), you can use Device Category as a secondary dimension and see the breakdown there.

Does that help?
Cassie

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Cassie,

nice one, thanks. I'm not sure how to interpret the numbers though.

Does Google publish transparent documentation on this?

How is Assicted conversion value for Mobile calculated? Does it only take conversions on the mobile device into acccuunt, or also estimates/measures converions on other devices by the same user?

thanks again!
Nils

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager

Hi Nils,

You can find a full explanation of those metrics over in the Analytics help center--I found these resources on analyzing channel contributions and multi-channel funnels data with a quick search, but there are many more!

Cassie

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Nils
Cassie is correct. Those are the documents that you need.
If you're using GA to measure the attribution or assists, you can actually assign a value to each device or "step" or "touchpoint" yourself. If you know more than what Google does, you can weigh up each touchpoint with your own data to give it the weight that YOU assign.

The defaults in GA though are what we use mainly. Either first AdWords click (if you're measuring your AdWords or mobile ad contribution) or a linear/even distribution (usually what C-Level wants to see although it's rare that all channels or devices would contribute evenly.

So, to answer your question, it really does rest with the individual advertiser how much weight that they want to give.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Cassie, Dave,

thanks for the links and your additional information.

I'm not sure this is the solution i'm looking for. I'm wondering how to determine the assisted cross device conversion value.

So i'm looking for a cross device assisted conversions number that increases if someone visits my website with his/her mobile device (after click on Adwords) , no conversion on mobile devcie, and then later that day opens the laptop and converts on the laptop device. Does Google Analytics measure the assisted conversion value of this mobile click?

In Adwords Google is trying to estimate this in an intransparent way with 'total estimated conversinos' i believe.

thanks again,

NIls

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Nils
Sorry for the delay getting back to you. No, there's no way to calculate a figure for this. That's why it's called an "estimate". When you think about this logically, how would Google even be able to assign a value to this? How would it determine that a mobile click in the scenario that you provided was more valuable than one that didn't convert in an identical scenario. The answer is, it can't.

That's why GA allows you to assign the value that YOU believe is the correct value to your business in the custom attribution model. You can use some pre-built models but they are just that, models.

It would be pretty sweet if Google could offer us this data and you can bet they'd make a lot of money if they had it. But the simple fact is that there is no way to "guess" this. That's why it's left up to the individual advertiser themselves.

Sorry that's not the answer you were looking for.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Dave,

thanks for taking the time to come up with your answer.

Yes, i agree with you it is hard to measure cross device assisted conversion value. However because Google has so much data about us, and many users are signed in using a Google account on both their mobile and laptop/desktop devices i am hoping for more...

Scenario:
If 60% of users who see my ad on their mobile are logged into a Google account that they also use on the other device that is responsible for the later conversion , i would like Google to have some magic formula to provide significant estimates for all my mobile impressions, clicks.

thanks again!