AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

effect of low impressions but high quality score?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi

Will keywords with a high quality score (say above 6) but low impressions (zero or next to zero) have a negative or a positive effect on the overall quality score?

I guess the quality score of the keyword will drop after not receiving impressions (and clicks) over time. Do you know how fast this goes?

Thanks

AleV

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author AleV
September 2015

Re: effect of low impressions but high quality score?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Aleks,

If a keyword isn't generating impressions then it's not going to influence the quality score directly as there is no test of relevance basically. If you believe the keywords may have a chance of the odd conversion in the future then I would personally leave them within the campaign, alternatively impressions may increase in the future due to external factors such as press releases being made around the product or industry.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author AleV
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Aleks,

If a keyword isn't generating impressions then it's not going to influence the quality score directly as there is no test of relevance basically. If you believe the keywords may have a chance of the odd conversion in the future then I would personally leave them within the campaign, alternatively impressions may increase in the future due to external factors such as press releases being made around the product or industry.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Scotty,

I can have as many KW as I want. I just have to keep high QS?

- Lukas

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Lukas,

Yes you can have as many keywords as you want but keep your marketing goals in mind and also how you structure your campaign. Ideally you want ad groups which have tightly themed keyword lists associated with ad descriptions that also match the relevancy of that keyword list. 

Having many keywords also isn't a certain way to success depending on what you are trying to achieve. If you are selling a product or service for example then you should only be including the most relevant keywords which you believe have the chance of converting into a sale. As you generate a return on investment you can then begin to experiment with other keywords providing that you monitor them on a regular basis.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Also note "visible quality" score is totally overrated in my opinion. I often see a keywords quality score change a few times daily. Better focus on a stable CTR per AdPos.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@semnews wrote:

Also note "visible quality" score is totally overrated in my opinion. I often see a keywords quality score change a few times daily. Better focus on a stable CTR per AdPos.

It's definitely a good point that we can get too hung up on Quality Score values sometimes. As semnews states, it's a better idea to try to obtain a good CTR and Quality Score will improve naturally in time then anyway.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

ok so there isnt any indication as QS or anything else which can I use to find KW which are not good for my ads and which I could use to pause or delet them?

Sorry for my funny english Smiley Happy

- Lukas

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
The good keywords are one which can give you sales. You need to install conversion tracking to know this.
Also. Do not look for keyword which are good for ads but create good ads for your keywords.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Initially it's about selecting keywords that are directly related to your website as these are instantly likely to be the most relevant. You will then need to use your common sense and knowledge of the business to expand upon this keyword list, selecting phrases which you think will help generate success not just for the campaign but more importantly the business itself. It is then important to review and monitor how these keywords perform, pausing and / or deleting them if they are generating high costs with no signs of sales. 

Unfortunately there is no way to get this information before running them with your ads and website.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank for ideas boys

- Lukas