AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

dynamic ads leading to 404 error pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Most of my dynamic ads are leading people to 404 error pages. Can anyone please help me to solve this problem. I am not able to find it out

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: dynamic ads leading to 404 error pages

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Pritesh,

There is no direct method to excludes pages that result in 404. Excluding simply 404 page will not exclude the broken URLs.

I will recommend you to look into
Your Google Search Console (Webmaster Tools) data and find those broken URLs.
If you can fix them or remove them from the websites, that would be great. If you can't then,
exclude these URLs using Dynamic Search Ads Exclusions.

You can access it at your campaign > Auto targets. Scroll down to find 'Exclusion' option.

Thanks,
Anand

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
If your DSA triggers 404 Error, it is not good for your SEO and AdWords,

There is the other way to manage the 404 error page is to use 301 redirection and redirect them into a proper relevant page. I would also recommend you to follow the Anand suggestions.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hello, Pritesh.

Those 404 pages can either be the result of a former product page which is no longer available or the result of a product URL which has the gclid appended to it, causing your server to crash.

In the first case, you should instruct whomever programs your website to make sure that the former product pages stay online and do not cause a 404. If possible, they should contain a specific URL part, common only to expired products, that can be used as an excluded target.

In the second case, make sure that if you have auto-tagging enabled and if the product URLs are something like example.com/product.html then all URLs such as example.com/product.html?gclid=test are also working. Any ad URL used in the AdWords system where auto-tagging is enabled becomes something like adurl?gclid=something. If your webserver cannot handle the addition of the gclid parameter to any product URL, this may be the reason.

On the other hand, if you're using any kind of tracking URLs, make sure that the URLs generated also work when the gclid parameter gets added.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.