Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

does similar audience work?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi dear all:

Have you ever added similar audience for remarketing campaign?

In theory, similar audience could bring more potential clients to our website and more important, it can develop our remarketing list, so i did the test,however in reality it brought a huge traffic and cpc is really low(not bad0,but my regular remarketing lists haven't been influenced, does anyone know how it comes?

Thanks~

Re: does similar audience work?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Yes targeting a Similar Audience has worked for me in terms of Conversion rate and high CTR rate.

Can you share some statistics to highlight what metrics exactly don't have a value you would like ?

Are you sending visitors in the ad groups targeting the "Similar to" audience to exactly the same landing pages as the ad groups using only the original remarketing audience ? How accurate have you tried to reproduce the targeting to compare results from the remarketing audience to the "similar to" audience ? I mean, if you use different targeting and different landing pages, you cannot compare the metrics from the 2 ad groups.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Adrian:

I created 2 ad groups, one is using "similar audience" as target, another is "regular remarketing list", both groups have the same ads and landing page. The similar audience group's CR and CTR are not good which didnt surprise me, similar audience is not as relevant as Regular remarketing list. (I dont know why you have a high CTR). According to the google adwords support, once customers click ads of our similar audience group, they will be added into our remarketing list. Thats how we develop our remarketing list. My question is, my remarketing list size didn have any change since the the similar audience group has been getting huge traffic every day, it doesnt make any sense....

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

As a strategy and a measure of precaution , I added the original remarketing list as a negative targeting in the ad group with the Similar to list. I don't want to serve Ads 20 times per day to the same people from both ad groups.

For example if visitor A which is not in the "remarketing list" but is in the "similar to list" visits the site, it automatically is included also in the "remarketing list" .

To keep having NEW incoming traffic from the "similar to list" you have to exclude visitors who are constantly added to the "remarketing list".

There is a delay in reporting the growth of lists. Sometimes I have waited 4 days to have a list as big as I knew it should be.

You can create in Google analytics a custom audience with visitors who have arrived on your site through an ad group and put the ad group name which contains as targeting the "similar to list" to test how many users are tagged from that ad group :

custom-audience-for-ad-group.png

I think I have a high CTR because people from my "similar to list" click on my ads from almost the same websites ( Placements) as the ones from the "remarketing list", so they are loyal readers of the same content.

Try to arrange the "Placements Tab" by no of impressions and compare the two ad groups. How many of the top 10 traffic generating placements are the same in the two ad groups ?