4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

does local adwords work?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

when i search from my location on long island i get no local businesses only ones from NYC, I think that is because google autodetects me from my ip address which is located in NYC.  This will happen to anyone who searches, so local ads may not even work for me.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: does local adwords work?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Michael ! Welcome to the Community !

This article explains how local businesses can restrict visits to their ads to local searchers , and you can understand from those settings why you are not seeing anything by searching from a distant location :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/AdWords-Targeting-Receiving-Clicks-from-ou...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am actually more concerned about why i am auto-detected in NYC.   Because as a searcher, I am assuming this would happen to just about everyone in this area.  I don't believe the average person in my area would realize that they have been auto detected in NYC.  I think they would just assume that there are no computer repair shops close to them, or that something is broken.  I usually add my zipcode  if i am not getting good local results, but i am not sure others would do that.  I guess an option would be to add the zipcode as a keyword.  But then i also feel like this is opening up a place for third parties like yelp, when I feel like adwords should be able  do it somehow maybe by guiding the searcher.  Maybe it should say "Not getting local results? Your location is set to ZIPCODE, if your local results are showing elsewhre, please enter your zipcode here:."

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

"I am actually more concerned about why i am auto-detected in NYC."

1) Unless you are using a VPN connection, you are detected where you are with a reasonable margin of error of a few miles. Indoor location targeting based on the IP address is not as accurate as outdoor GPS signals.

2) The fact that you see paid Ads from another location only means that they have configured their adwords campaign to include your location too or they are not aware that they have missconfigured the location targeting.

3) The fact that you do not see local businesses doesn't mean there aren't any, not all paid ads are displayed all the time , mainly because adwords daily budgets do not allow this and also because adwords advertisers have the posibility to use frequency capping to display an ad in the Display Network only a few times per day.

4) To suggest a feature , maybe you can chat with google using this page :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/8206?hl=en&hlrm=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Two things about that... 1. No local business appear at all.  You would think Best Buy or Staples would get in there somehow. and 2. When I go to my location it tells me it detected me in NYC, and then gives me the option to enter my zip code.  That brought up some other questions.  My store shows up in the #1 spot when searching for computer repair 11762.  but, only on the maps.  There is no text listing of my store.    Then when i set my location to 11762 in google, and search for computer repair, no listing appears, and the map does not appear. 

So, i guess what i am thinking now is that google should know by the nature of the search if you are looking for a local business, by using logic like hair salons, car repair.. or any repair for that matter.  Then they should be sure to present you with your current location to verify that is correct, and let you opt in to making it more accurate.  I dont believe they can rely on the average user to figure this all out.    Also I am wondering how common this problem is.  maybe it is unique to this area, but i suspect it may not be.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

About these lines

"When I go to my location it tells me it detected me in NYC"

" Then when i set my location to 11762 in google"

Where exactly do you setup your location like this? Are you only performing searches for ads on the google maps interface ?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Michael,

IP0-based location, for the most part, uses the location of your ISP to determine your location. Some of the bigger ISP's do provide some segmentation of their networks to allow a bit more accurate location. Are there and ISP's in your area?

Cellphone/smartphone location is based on GPS, if the user has made GPS available for the location service on the phone. If you expect people to search for computer repair using their mobile device, you might consider a mobile-only campaign.

OK, with the new "Enhanced Campaigns", you can't really run a mobile only campaign. But you can run a "mostly mobile" campaign. Put in a low bid for desktop/tablet and use the multiplier for mobile, up to 300%.

Start with a small budget, something you can afford to lose. When you get your campaign running well, you can increase the budget.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I click on search tools under the google search field. It says : Any time, All Results, and New York, NY it locates me smack dab in the middle of NYC, and tells me so. I can manually change it to my zip code, but it doesnt stick. Plus, I am simulating searches by potential clients, and i am afraid because of this none of my local people will see my ad, just like me when i search from here.