3.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

display keywords vs placements

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I have a display keyword CAT and a placement CATWORLD.COM does my image ad show up when someone searches for CAT ( I assume no, since images ad don't show up on text searches ) OR when someone is only CATWORLD.COM and the word CAT is somewhere on the page? Or just anytime someone is anywhere on CATWORLD.COM?

I'm trying to understand how display keyword and placements behave. With each other, dependent or each doing something on their own or some combination.

If I wanted my ad to show up anywhere anytime on CATWORLD.COM, would I just remove or turn off display keyword? Or is that even possible?

STATUS: I'm getting 2-5 clicks a day. So that is exciting. But so far, no sales. I've added a note and free offer to my web site to at least encourage people to get in touch with me. Any other idea in how to convert clicks to actual sales? And yes, I have a product that I've at least proven can sell in an actual physical store.

thanks, Matthew

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: display keywords vs placements

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Matthew,

When you are using Catworld.com as a placement with CAT keyword, your ads will show on Catworld.com where CAT word/related content is present.

If you want to show ads on all available ad spaces on Catworld.com irrespective of content, just remove the keyword from your targeting.

Adding keywords with placement is a very good way to restrict your ad’s exposure to where related content is present.

Find more information about placement targeting below.

https://www.google.co.in/ads/displaynetwork/manage-your-ads/targeting-tools.html#tab=placement-targe...

Hope this helps,

Deepak

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks. I have keywords, as started with only text ads for search placement. then as ads landing on crappy sites, was suggested by google to use placements. now they are suggesting the problem with placements is a customer might click on my ad just because they are curious, but not actually searching for, so that I should instead use search ads. this is all somewhat circular in effort.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Matthew,
I believe you want your ads to appear only in Google Search. Looking at your description, what I understand is you have included Search and Display Network as your Campaign Network Settings. If you want to target just Google Search and do not want your ads to appear in Display Network, please change your Network settings to Search Network Only Campaign.

Click on your specific Campaign under All Online campaigns (left frame) in adwords -> Choose Settings Tab from right frame -> Edit "Type" -> Choose "Search Network Only" from drop down -> Now choose All Features and Save.

If you want your Ads to appear only in Google Search, Search Network and do not want your ads to appear in Search Partner (AOL, CNN, etc), you need to make one more step as below:

Click on Edit "Network" and uncheck "Search Partners". This will make sure you ads will appear only on Google Search Only (Your ads will also appear in Google images, Google Maps.

Regards,
Balu
www.locsea.com
Google Adwords Certified Partner