AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

customized landing pages vs. regular site page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

My boss keeps telling me they used to (maybe 5-10 years ago) create customized landing pages that were highly optimized to specific groups of keywords or search terms. These landing pages would not be in the normal website navigation, and wouldn't be a regular category or product page. Currently, all of our landing pages are regular pages on our site, that any visitor can find in the navigation, of course we send them to the most relevant page possible.

So, I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions or experience on this matter. I personally don't like the customized landing page method - atleast for our purposes. If our goal is to make a sale, why would I want to send somebody to a place that is out of the normal flow/navigation of our site? Why not just do our best to optimize existing pages on the site to what visitors are looking for?

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated! Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: customized landing pages vs. regular site page

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Consider what you have written for a moment.... "we send them to the most relevant page possible" - it's obvious why you do that - it's the right thing to do.

so the next question is..... Could you develop a landing page that would be MORE relevant to their search than the one you currently send them to?

If you can, then you should develop the LP - if you can't you're golden.....

As to why you cannot simply optimize all your pages to what your visitors are looking for is because one size does not fit all.....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I suppose. My question was mostly aimed at the idea of taking a customer out of the regular navigation flow.

I guess this is too dependent on the site and the proposed customized landing page for it to be a real discussion, so fine never mind. Smiley Happy

Personally, if I come across these customized landing pages with all navigation removed and only one action to take, I close them immediately. Even if you're showing me the most relevant product to what I searched for, I still want to know what else is available, and if you're not going to allow me that, I'm going to leave.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey - up to you - go head to head with your boss and then with your clients......

The point is this... can you provide a visitor experience that will lead to more sales or not  that's the bottom line - id LP's achieve that then you should loo to develop them - ifthe difference is marginal then it's not worth the work - but you do not know right now - so test it and then take a view....

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I am a great fan of customized landing pages. If you have the time and resources - do it.

The landing page is a crucial part in the conversion funnel. Many focus on  campaign optimization, and forget that conversion is done on the landing page. Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Steve, there is no "going head to head" involved. We're simply gathering opinions. Thanks for your input though. Maybe it would be worth doing a test on. Send half to the customized landing page and half to a relevant page on the website and see what happens.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
ha ha - it was the part about "my boss keeps telling me".....

Yes - testing is the key... if the landing pages convert better then go that way - if they don't go to product pages....

Are you running any dynamic search campaigns? These can be very effective for eCommerce sites as the search query is automatically matched to the most relevant page.

And, of course, Product Listing Ads. There are a number of options for ecommerce that should be tested.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
haha maybe I should have left that part out. I only say that because I've only been working in the web field for about 3 years, so I don't know much about the way webvertising used to be. We have an experienced account manager running most of the show. I'm sort of the middle person doing the design work and communicating my bosses wishes to the account manager. We are working on product listing ads now and I think he has done some dynamic search campaigns. Again, I appreciate your input!