AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

conversions are incorrect

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have conversion code on a thank you page.  When a customer completes a request for quotation and submits the form they see a thank you page (where the conversion code is).  However, we are receiving many more requests for quotations than are being reported as conversions.  For example, during the month of Dec we received over 75 quotations but only 4 Google conversions from the thank you page.

What could casue this?

Since we are getting some reports of conversion, the code must be working.  I realize that traffic directed from other search providers (Bing, Yahoo, etc) would not trigger a conversion, but the majority of our search engine activiety is through Google.

Any clues?

Re: conversions are incorrect

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Do you have Google analytics on your site? It might be a good idea to have a look in there and see how many conversions are coming from natural traffic vs paid search. It is true google code will only work for google campaigns. 

Re: conversions are incorrect

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

First thing is obviously to make sure the conversion tracking code is installed correctly. It has to be between the <body> tags of the page otherwise, it might not register properly. You should also not remove or change any of the codes.

Also, the page should not be redirected or the code might not register properly. It really should be the last "thank you" page seen by your customer. If it's being redirected, put in a one-second delay on that page but ideally, move it.

Make sure it's the only thank you page. I've seen clients with two or three for some reason. If you have more than one, put the code on all of them.

One client of mine (the webmaster) insists that the checkout service they use is the culprit. I suppose it's possible but I don't know enough about these things. If you use a third-party service, let us know who and we could build a database of them and potential issues with each. Maybe Google already has such a list but I'm not aware of one and I'm frankly skeptical this could be an issue. The client admits that customers don't buy online in his niche. Another client also claims a lot more sales than shows in Adwords so I figure they call instead of purchasing directly on the site.

Google's own link for the conversion tracker that may help. You should read the Inconsistent security protocol section as well as the next section about some CMS systems stripping parts of the code. It may be the problem.

Finally, for the code to work, the customer must have cookies enabled. Most people don't know about cookies and don't disable them. But you may just be targeting a segment that does.

Note also that if someone searches from one computer (at work for example where cookies are often disabled) and buys later from their home computer, the conversion will not be registered. By the way, the cookie lasts for 30 days so if you sell something where the buying decision is long, many conversions may not register because of this.