Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

conversion optimizer

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I'm a new Adwords user, and I set up my first campaing few weeks ago.

Everything looked fine, the Ad was ON for 10 days, and generated the traffic thaty I was expected, about 100 visits per day. My problem is that, out of those 1000 visits, it only generated 5 sales... Smiley Sad

So basically if I didnt had a voucher, I would have lost money !

The question is, could it be that the Ad needs to be running for a while before I can have some significant sales ? Or is 10 days enough to have a good insight, and the issue may be somewhere else (conversion, keywords,n leads...) ??

I have be told by many people (including some pros) and users that the site is nice and smooth... So I dont really know what to do next to make things moving...

Thanks all.

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Julien G
September 2015

Re: conversion optimizer

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Julien,

Number of days is not a huge factor in determining the outcome of testing. It is if course a factor when ensuring sufficient representation. For example, you may find that Sundays tend to be your best converting day, but if you have only run the test for 7 days, not exactly significant making that call based on one Sunday.

In your case, with 1000 visitors and only 5 conversions I would say this is extremely low, although not necessarily, dependant on what your are considering a conversion and the requirements of that conversion. For example a B2B company that is selling million dollar machines, that may be a highly profitable conversion rate for you.

I am sure that many others will give you advise here to check certain areas, so I will just deal with a few major areas to consider. What you need to realise is that, if your landing page is well optimised in terms of CRO, then the area that will be in need of attention is segmentation of your audience, and most if not all suggestions here will be ways in which to better segment your audience in order to ensure that you are sending the correct users to your landing page.

For starters I do not know what your conversion funnel looks like but one place to start is to identify keywords that have a strong buyers intent over those that are more informational or comparative. Separate these out and assign budget accordingly. You can not only concentrate on buyers intent as entering the funnel at this late stage may be too late to get the conversions.

A great tool for you at this stage is the SQR, where you can see exactly what users who are clicking your ads are searching for. This will give you a great idea of what typoe of users you are getting and where you can make improvements, both in your keyword targeting and in negatives. Negative Keywords are a must have, and this list needs to be continously evolving, as it is the easiest and best way for you to lower wasted spend and stop the incorrect users from seeing your ads.

Another area great for audience segmentation is your ad copy. Ensure that a user knows exactly where they are being taken and what they are going to see there. Do not be vague or make general claims. This will help with making sure that the correct user is clicking your ads.

If you would like to learn more about the SQR you can do so here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708?hl=en

This is just a few places that you can start, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Julian G,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

Now when you have at least 10 days of history with account, it's the time you can get ahead to optimize your campaigns for better performance.

The first place you should look into is - Search Terms Report. You can run it from the 'Keywords' Tab of your Campaign/Ad Group. It will give you insights about what were the terms that triggered you ads. If you find any term irrelevant, you can add those terms as Negative Keywords to stop your ads from triggering on them. 

Second, if you find similar keywords in the Search Term Report, that might benefit you, consider including them as keywords, and into your ad copies if possible. 

The next thing, check your CTR, which I believe must be good enough as you already are getting at least 100 clicks a day. If your CTR is good enough and the Search Term Report does not signal many clicks from irrelevant search terms, to me, you will need to work with your landing pages. The reason is obvious, if you are getting relevant clicks with a decent CTR and yet not converting, your landing page experience is not optimized for better conversion. 

However, if your CTR is not satisfactory, you should work with your keywords selection, their match type, ad copies, and Call to Action.  

More importantly, AdWords is an advanced system and to make the most of it, you need to spend some time and efforts.

All the best for your optimization efforts. If you get stuck anywhere, this community is always a great help.

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Julien,

Number of days is not a huge factor in determining the outcome of testing. It is if course a factor when ensuring sufficient representation. For example, you may find that Sundays tend to be your best converting day, but if you have only run the test for 7 days, not exactly significant making that call based on one Sunday.

In your case, with 1000 visitors and only 5 conversions I would say this is extremely low, although not necessarily, dependant on what your are considering a conversion and the requirements of that conversion. For example a B2B company that is selling million dollar machines, that may be a highly profitable conversion rate for you.

I am sure that many others will give you advise here to check certain areas, so I will just deal with a few major areas to consider. What you need to realise is that, if your landing page is well optimised in terms of CRO, then the area that will be in need of attention is segmentation of your audience, and most if not all suggestions here will be ways in which to better segment your audience in order to ensure that you are sending the correct users to your landing page.

For starters I do not know what your conversion funnel looks like but one place to start is to identify keywords that have a strong buyers intent over those that are more informational or comparative. Separate these out and assign budget accordingly. You can not only concentrate on buyers intent as entering the funnel at this late stage may be too late to get the conversions.

A great tool for you at this stage is the SQR, where you can see exactly what users who are clicking your ads are searching for. This will give you a great idea of what typoe of users you are getting and where you can make improvements, both in your keyword targeting and in negatives. Negative Keywords are a must have, and this list needs to be continously evolving, as it is the easiest and best way for you to lower wasted spend and stop the incorrect users from seeing your ads.

Another area great for audience segmentation is your ad copy. Ensure that a user knows exactly where they are being taken and what they are going to see there. Do not be vague or make general claims. This will help with making sure that the correct user is clicking your ads.

If you would like to learn more about the SQR you can do so here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708?hl=en

This is just a few places that you can start, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Good Luck
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Julian G,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

Now when you have at least 10 days of history with account, it's the time you can get ahead to optimize your campaigns for better performance.

The first place you should look into is - Search Terms Report. You can run it from the 'Keywords' Tab of your Campaign/Ad Group. It will give you insights about what were the terms that triggered you ads. If you find any term irrelevant, you can add those terms as Negative Keywords to stop your ads from triggering on them. 

Second, if you find similar keywords in the Search Term Report, that might benefit you, consider including them as keywords, and into your ad copies if possible. 

The next thing, check your CTR, which I believe must be good enough as you already are getting at least 100 clicks a day. If your CTR is good enough and the Search Term Report does not signal many clicks from irrelevant search terms, to me, you will need to work with your landing pages. The reason is obvious, if you are getting relevant clicks with a decent CTR and yet not converting, your landing page experience is not optimized for better conversion. 

However, if your CTR is not satisfactory, you should work with your keywords selection, their match type, ad copies, and Call to Action.  

More importantly, AdWords is an advanced system and to make the most of it, you need to spend some time and efforts.

All the best for your optimization efforts. If you get stuck anywhere, this community is always a great help.

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks A LOT for your answser !

No, I am not a million dollar B2B company, just a local candy shop, trying to set an online business ( www.usineabonbons.com ) All that is new for me, I'm learning all by myself.

The average basket is somewhere between 15 and 40 Euro. So that's why I'm worried, 0.5% is an extremely low conversion rate I believe. I have followed a lot of tutorials and changed the website to improve the conversion rate... but no luck there so far.

So I guess I have to work on my keywords, I didn't set negative ones... Thanks for the link, I will study it carefully.

Thanks again Smiley Happy

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Julien,

Glad I could help, but to talk specifically about your last post. I believe that is the biggest issue you have then, negative keywords are a must have! A fair portion of your advertising spend (if not most) has probably been wasted spend. Showing up for searches not relevant to your candy shop.

Study the SQR, you will find a ton of negative keywords to add to your account. But do me a favour and please read up on how they work. I suggest the link below to get started:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453972

This single change to your account will do wonders to your CPA. And this is because a high CTR does not mean that you are bringing relevant users to your site. It just means you are bringing users. You need to ensure you are bringing the correct users to your site and negative keywords is the first and possibly largest step you can take at this stage.

Good Luck

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks to both of you ! So basically, optimize my campaing using the Search Terms Report, negative keywords, better segmentation... and check again in 10 days Smiley Happy

This should keep me busy for a while.

This is a really helpful help.

Julien.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
I am glad, we could help you Julien.

Thanks
Ratan