Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

conversion optimizer and geo bid setting

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Case: a campaign targeting multiple countries with vastly different cpc:s and quite different CPA:s as well. Visitors / conversions from different countries are also not of equal value.

eCPC is on today and we wanna switch to the the campaign optimizer. However, we don´t want only cheap conversions from B-countris. Today we are using the campaign level bid option for countries, which I guess will not work with conversion optimizer.

What would you do?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: conversion optimizer and geo bid setting

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I would use Google insights to see how often a keyword is searched for in country A compared to country B. Theres a number of factors why a particular keyword might work in one country compared to another. Cultrual difrence, seasonality of keyword etc.

Use the keyword tool and choose your desired location a to get a rough estimate of local searches and adjust your keywords accordingly.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
This is a display campaign using multiple targeting methods (topics, contextual keywords, interest categories, placements)

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi David,

For a DN campaign, I think I'd be tempted to split the campaign by country.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

OOPPs....I posted a reply on the wrong threads....(too many tabs opened) Smiley Surprised (Deleted and moved to the correct thread)

Anyway, David,  my experience shows that when you are trying to target to may audiences on the DN (Topics; interests, keywords remarketing... demographics...), It might be too much for the system to handle.

I would not target more than 3.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Are you pulling reports to see what various country click to conversion ratio's are?

When I run campaigns like this, typically I clone a single campaign across 5-10 geo's at a time. Each geo gets its own campaign so I can control bidding practices on each. You will find that in the long run, you'll spend less and get a higher conversion rate.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks everyone.

Surely, it´d be better to target a single country with a single campaign (or something like it). But we are talking of of some 40 countries here, already divided in 3 campaigns, and before one starts cloning, one wanna be sure one is on the right track.

trying to target to may audiences on the DN (Topics; interests, keywords remarketing... demographics...), It might be too much for the system to handle. I would not target more than 3.

Then you´d miss a lot of opportunities and get 250 conversions per day.
I have put different targeting methods in different ad groups. A lot of overlaps on placement-level, but that´s not a big problem.

Yes we look carefully at conversion rates - even profits - at different countries. That´s why I´m afraid the conversion optimizer will tilt everything very much at regions where conversions are cheap, but profit might be small (because low purchasing power)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thats why I clone my campaigns out per geo. Starting with one big campaign sounds like a good idea, but in actuality its a huge waste of resources.

Even if your targeting 50 different geo's, it's not that hard to copy/paste campaigns in editor and just adjust the geo targeting.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

It can be quite cumbersome to analyze 50 campaigns although they are similar in structure. Also, there are disadvantages when it comes to using conversion optimizer, which works better with high conversion volumes