Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

confusing low adrank issues

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can anyone explain why my ads would suddenly stop being displayed for many keywords due to low ad rank just because I paused the ad group for one day? It's been about 7 hours since I resumed and my CTR has gone right down too. Before that the ads were displaying successfully on a daily basis over a several-month period, CTR was 2-3% higher, quality scores were high and a I enjoyed a low max CPC bid (around 0.30PLN = US$0.10). I'm not going to raise the CPC to raise my ad rank just because I paused the ad group for a day. Messages in the Adwords interface are very misleading and actually meaningless since there's no reason why I should now have a low ad rank. I'm afraid to make any changes at all to my campaigns now. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: confusing low adrank issues

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hey Nestor K,

I would want to know why you needed to pause the ad group at all? was it because your site /page went down?
If the AdWords crawler has gone through your page when it was not responding, it associates it with bad user experience and hence pulls down your QS and consequently the ad positions & CTRs.

If this is not the case.. let me know why you had to pause the ad group. We may be able to figure out something then.
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I paused the adgroup because I have two domains that I wanted to target with the same keywords. This is not possible within the same adgroup, so I had to create a second adgroup. However, my ad for the new adgroup was not being displayed because of lower adrank compared to the ads for the first domain, therefore in order to see how it would perform from the point of view of conversions, I had no choice but to pause the first adgroup. After comparing the two adgroups, I decided to resume the first adgroup.

Anyway, it seems like the first ad group is starting to regain its normal performance again. I decided to increase the max CPC by around 70% in order to raise the ad rank, get the ads displayed and then I'm gradually lowering it again towards its previous setting. My question is this: when you pause an ad group or campaign for a certain amount of time and then resume it, is there a 'natural' delay before it regains its performance?  Does the pausing 'reset' certain parameters in the Adwords system?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello;

This is a nice question. 

If you pause an ad group  for a short time, it should not affect the QS;

However; what I think happened in this specific case, is that you used the same keyword in a NEW ad -group, within the same campaignActually, in practice, what you did is to add a "new" keyword (though the same as the one you paused) which  its initial QS was based on other advertisers' average QS  for the same KW.  Then you switched back. I think that confused the stem a bit ...

This is how I see the case...

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’