AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

competitor has taken top spot with out increasing his bid??

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My competitor has managed to take the top spot with out changing his add or bid , any ideas how he could of done this ?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: competitor has taken top spot with out increasing his bid??

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Adrank = MaxCPC bid x Quality Score

Basically, his adrank improved. Every time a search query triggers a keyword and subsequent ad every advertiser that is eligible goes into an auction where the highest Adrank 'wins.' 

I'm not sure how you know they didn't increase their bids but the only other explanations are:

1) Quality score or maxCPC bids for everyone else dropped and his Adrank (while staying the same) now tops the auction

2) His Quality score improved and now his Adrank tops the auction

To see more about AdRank check out: http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1752122?hl=en

To see more about Quality Score check out: http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en

Hope that helps!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Ronjerremy,

How are you certain that your competitor has not made any changes?  How would you know those details?

Have you potentially made any changes that could have adversely affected your ad position?

The variables are many and every changing in determining the ad positioning and without every detail, all anyone can make is assumptions.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi, Ronjerremy.

Are you both affiliates advertising the same website and competing for that position? I remember a case from about two years ago when affiliates were allowed to use adwords, but forced to use the same ads and bids.

In any case (affiliates or not), if ads and bids cannot be changed, an advertiser can still increase the daily budget, and make sure her ads appear more often than the competition's and maybe get a better CTR and thus a better quality score.

Also, if an advertiser does not make good use of ad extensions, another one can use them and if he gets a better CTR because the ad stands out more than the others, and attracts more clicks, again, Quality Score can increase, AdRank increases, and the ad position subsequently increases as well.

In a nutshell: a higher daily budget and/or ad extensions might increase the ad rank without working on bids or ad text.

Also, match types can help as well. The tighter, the better. In case you don't use the same keywords as your competition, as well.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.