4.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

commercial customers vs residential customers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

i have a commercial plumbing service for buildings but i get too many calls for residential customers that i dont service at all...  what can i do to find my proper customers?

most of my ads already have the word 'Commcerial' in them.

anyone have this experience?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: commercial customers vs residential customers

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

They way to manage this type of "behavior" is to add negative keywords (e.g residential; ; house hold)

Use the search terms report to  find   irrelevant search queries  that triggered your ad, and add negative keywords accordingly;

Read more:

Negative Keywords: As Important as Positive Keywords

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
There is no way to avoid the fact that a number of your core keywords will cross over both sectors.

Whilst Moshe is right, and adding negatives will help - there are going to be keywords that you simply cannot use as negatives as they will restrict too much of your desired traffic.

To an extent you will have to live with that fact... but one thing you should do is make it very clear in your ad copy that you are a commercial plumber - you mention that your ads already have the word commercial in them - make sure it's in your headline - this way you will put off a number of the domestic users whose search terms will inevitably trigger your ads.

Just as another suggestion - why not also reach an agreement with a local plumber who services domestic customers and refer business to them. They might be happy to pay for some of your advertising costs.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hello again;
I agree with Steve's comment . The approach I suggested is the "best practice". However , you might always get a few "leaks" . You can't block it completely.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I would suggest that the landing page splits the customers from the beginning with a simple question first :

Are you a business owner or a residential customer ? ( with two links for the two choices)

After the user makes the selection you can redirect them to the two appropriate landing pages and from the commercial customer landing page you can collect the audience to apply adwords remarketing.

Of course on the landing page for the residential customers you can advertise a partner who handles such jobs.