AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

.com vs a .in - does Google have an inherent bias?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does Google look at a .com and a .in domain as same, or is there an inherent added weightage to a .com domain? Meaning, if I have both a .com and a .in for a REGIONAL website, should I try optimizing/advertizing for the .com domain or the .in domain?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: .com vs a .in - does Google have an inherent bias?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Ramnath,

If its a regional website I would go with .In domain. However It all depend on what kind of advertising strategy you planning to initiate. All kind of targeting ( Location/Language) can be used in .In domain without any issue.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
For organic search, yes. For AdWords no. Use what's best for your USERS.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Davis, Thanks for the reply.

Can you kindly elaborate on this?

Now assume that one has both the .com and the .in domain and is redirecting the .com to his .in. Can we assume that the .in will "inherit" the significance of the .com from where it is redirected?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
ThankU NIsa for the reply!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Ramnath,
No, this is not correct. Redirecting the .in to the .com will not transfer any significance in terms of geo. This is actually quite a complicated issue and you should ask about it over on the webmaster central forum here: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters

As for AdWords, the domain extension does NOT come into play. If you're targeting users in India, it makes no difference to AdWords if you're sending them to a .in or a ,com. As for your users, THEY may give or take away some weight in terms of credibility depending on their opinions.

Hope that helps.