4.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

click through rate vs conversion

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

i had previously messed up with my landing page, although i had a great click through rate, i wasnt able to capture any leads and that was my aim. no one was opting in to give me their details. am fairly new to google adwords so i would like to know if i change my landing page what should i realistically expect. Assuming 100 people click my ad, and i have a good landing page, how many leads should i expect to get?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: click through rate vs conversion

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
It's really impossible to say - but it should be more than none ;-)

Here's the thing.... first you need to establish what constitutes a conversion - in your case it sounds like a form completion - so we need to make sure that the form is:

1. working properly (!)
2. Simple - the longer the form the fewer people will complete it.
3. Obvious - highly visible on the page and with a clear call to action along with a clear benefit of what the visitor is going to get from you if they give you their details - remember this is a transaction - I give you my contact details, you give me something I value as much or more that my privacy

Then try a couple of versions of the landing page... try different positions for the form, or different colors, calls to action, etc.

Use Google Content Experiments (in Analytics) to test between versions of your landing pages to see which work best.

Once you establish a baseline then your objective is to test new versions to continually improve...

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi,

I think Steve is bang on here.

There is no fixed formula as if how many clicks will turn into conversions for you. But yes, the more the relevant traffic comes to your landing page, there's more probability of getting more conversions for you.

I would only like to add about the mobile traffic and make sure your landing page is suitable for your mobile audiences, if not then I won't really encourage you to show ads to the people who use mobile devices more often.

Otherwise, create a dedicated mobile specific landing page and let mobile users come to that page and take the require action.

Experimenting with your landing page as Steve pointed rightly above will let you analyse which version of your page is more beneficial in terms of everything. You can try different call to actions in the form of attractive banners as well and see whether they make any sense or not.

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Ideal Conversion rate are mostly mentioned between 1% to 3% Now as you were saying you are having Good CTR but no Leads There can be Multiple reason for that.
1. Check your search term report are the visitors coming to your website are your targeted visitors or they are not.
2. Check the negative list of the campaign and try to add more negative keywords which are not of your use.
3. Try to make multiple adgroups with different match types.
4. Make sure the landing page is having very low loading time.
5. Make sure the information regarding to the product is crisp and clear.
6. if possible create a dedicated page of the product and the contact form is not more than 4 lines.
7. In todays world Specially in country like india females are reluctant to share their number so dont make that field compulsory.
8. Compatibility of your page should be with Mobile and other devices. if its not than make sure on mobile devices dont run the ads As per my Exp. from mobile devices the conversion of Form are low Smiley Sad
By this Analysis you can have fair idea what changes you can do in the account to get more conversions. Hope it can work for you

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
hi suman,

does that mean out of a hundred people, only 3 people would opt in to fill my form or lead capture form? that is a bit dissapointing as each click costs on average $ 2 and then i still have to convert the 3 people into actual customers meaning they need to be more people who actually fill my form according to laws of averages

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
hi Steve,

i would like first by thanking you for taking the time to respond to my question, all the advice given here is very valuable to me. you are right i have a form to fill and i would like to make the most of my adwords money. have you done anything like this and what were your results? i want to know what to expect and how to improve something if its not right

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
hi pankaji,

i dont advertise to mobile users, and when i do i will take your advice, thank you for responding to my question. have you tried using lead capture forms and what were your results?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey,
First of all its an average which we are talking about now 2 dollar bid is a bit high for me can share with us which industrial vertical you are working. If your campaign is optimized and you are actually getting the visitor of your targeted audience it can go up to 6% to 7% and this will on medium side so from here you can draw the conclusion that conversion percentage depends on the strategy you have applied and how effectively you doing that. In any case the CPC you are talking about is on higher side.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
hey Suman,

here are my previous stats the average CPC was $1.88 with a click through ratio of 2.22 assuming this goes on the same way for every 100 visitors i would be charched $ 188 or lower depending on different factors. as i had admitted in the previous posts i had messed with my landing pages and didnt get any leads (as that is what am after).
i dont know if am asking too much or am not asking the right question, but is there a way of increasing my conversion rate for it to be higher so that i could take the leads through my sales funnel? assuming i have a good landing page.

what did you mean by industrial vertical

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Industrial vertical means in which domain you are working as in you are having retail or tour & travel business which business you are catering so that you can calculate what will be your sale value if the inquiry get converted in to business that will give me a fair idea what different strategy we can work upon in terms of conversion you are not asking too much if you think that 4 or 5 percent can be a good conversion rate and as per your messing up with landing page i will recommend you create new one with nice and crisp line dont load it with too many information and pic and put some USP and offer there so that maximum people can fill the form