Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

city names as negative keywords?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am running campaign with targeted USA territory for web development company based in India. I got some click looking for web development services in specific cities of USA. So in this case I decided to add all city names of USA in negative keywords to avoid unwanted clicks. So this good idea to add city names in negative keywords or not? How should I handle this situation? 

Amit Verma

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amit Verma
September 2015

Re: city names as negative keywords?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Amit,
I agree with your approach - if someone is modifying their Keywords w/ cities, they're probably looking for a web development company with a local presence. The potential challenge though is that you're missing out eligible Impressions as they might type in the city they live in, but may be open to their web development company not having a local presence.
What you may want to do is have one Campaign without those Negative Keywords and use Ad Copy that very clearly states that you do business in the US, but are located in India.

Re: city names as negative keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My business is in Vancouver, but most of our prospective customers are in other parts of the world. Consequently, we encounter search terms such as "product product city name".

There are only a few city names that apply to us, so I would like to add all other city names as negative keywords. Tha problem is that there are over one million. Any suggestions?