Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

cannibalism effect by adding ad with new location

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Here what I want to do:

Having 2 ads with same keywords targeting different locations (loc1 & loc2).

loc1 should be: "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location".

loc2 should be: “People in my targeted location” only.

If I do that I see a cannibalism effect: loc1-ad is going down, loc2-ad is going up.

Possible reason: in the preference "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location" for loc1, there is loc2 already included (e.g. somebody is searching for my keyword together with the name of loc1).

My question: which ad is showing in loc2 if somebody is searching for my keyword together with the name of loc1?

A: loc1-ad, because: “searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location"

B: loc2-ad, because: "People in”

C: both ads

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: cannibalism effect by adding ad with new location

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I think the change is puerly due to lower QS (or lower bid), not because of having two locations;
In some cases (depending on the locations) you might get loc1 ad shown instead of loc2 ad. But this could happen if the locations are close  and the system "assigns" IP addresses of people in one location, to the other location.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

The cannibalism effect is replicable. Also the Adwords hotline said there is a posibility that this could happen.

If i understand you right, in this case the IP address ("People in”) somehow overrules the keyword connection to loc1 (“searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location").

what I did now is to exclude loc2 (“searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location") in the loc1 settings. And I excluded loc1 ("People in”) in loc2 settings.

Somehow I dont have a good feeling because I dont understand exactly whats going on.

If you want to make 2 campaigns (same keywords) for 2 neighboring countries (loc1 & loc2), how would you do it?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi German ..... to long to write Smiley Happy

First, the cannibalism is very hard to measure because of many factors that influence the behavior: seasonality, temperature, time of day, etc. So It's hard to conclude and measure the difference between normal fluctuation and cannibalism.

Second, there are many studies that show the Ad slot-number of visitor (CTR) connection. If your ads for loc2 didn't have the same position like loc1 ads, this could be the reason for rise/decrease of click number.

Third, I would prefer to increase the ad rank artificially - e.g. in campaign for loc 2 increase the bid or increase the bid adjustment for a location by a percentage.

You asked how to handle loc1 and loc2 campaigns. My approach is to use 'People in this location' and to exclude 'people not in this location' if it's important. So in campaign 1 the ads would be shown only to people in loc 1 and exclude loc 2.

In campaign 2 it would be vice verse Only visible for people in loc 2, excluding people in location 1.
And to be sure, I uncheck the Google search partners box from search network. The IP is not always declared exactly by the ISP. In Croatia we have this problem.

And I would suggest you to read this article. It's not about click cannibalism, but click increasing because of Ads and organic clicks. It's not exactly about loc 1 and loc2 cannibalism, but it can help to understand better the user behavior:
http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/research.google.com/en//pubs/arc...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Two separate issues here: 

1. The lower ad-rank,
  2. And, "overlapping" campaigns - which  results in keywprds competing.

If the campaigns were properly set, and no  geographic overlap, then, as mentioned, in my first reply, work on your QS (and might consider a higher bid)

If there is a "Geo overlap",  then it could be that you are targeting  smaller Geo-areas than possible in the country you are in. (There are countries in which you could only target by a region / province etc...).

You might think that you target a specific region, but practically you might be  targeting a broader geographic area, and the result is "overlapping" campaigns.

What country are you targeting? What Geo-targeting are you using?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,
here the preferences:

Campaign 1 (United Arab Emirates)
• Locations
o Targeted locations: United Arab Emirates (country)
o Excluded locations: Oman (country)
• Location options (advanced)
o Target: People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location
o Exclude: People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my excluded location
• Bid strategy
o Focus on clicks, automatic bidding, no CPC bid limit. Enhanced CPC
o Budget not reached

Campaign 2 (United Arab Emirates)
• Locations
o Targeted locations: Oman (country)
o Excluded locations: United Arab Emirates (country)
o Target: People in
o Exclude: People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my excluded location
• Bid strategy
o Focus on clicks, automatic bidding, no CPC bid limit. Enhanced CPC
o Budget not reached

would you change something?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Helloo again;

You don't need to exclude UAE when targeting Oman and vice versa.

You exclude only a region within the territory targeted. Oman and the UAE are two countries that have no overlapping teritory.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Do you mean like this?

• Locations
o Targeted locations: United Arab Emirates (country)
o Target: People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location

Campaign 2 (United Arab Emirates)
• Locations
o Targeted locations: Oman (country)
o Target: People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my excluded location

But if I do that, we will have Keywords competing:

Campaign 1 (UAE) will target people not only “in” but outside UAE (i.e. Oman) “searching for” our Keyword in UAE.
Campaign 2 (Oman) will target the same population from Oman.

Right?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi German....

In smaller countries or regions, location settings can be very inaccurate. Therefore I would use for your example:

• include Locations UAE
People in targeted locations: United Arab Emirates (country)
Exclude: Oman
People in targeted location

Campaign 2 (Oman)
• include Locations: Oman
People in targeted locations
Exclude: UAE
People in targeted location

This should prevent overlapping, but it depend very much from the local ISP.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

I disagree with @mvarga  on this;

You should not exclude when targeting separately UAE and Oman.

And the campaigns  will not compete since you are targeting different countries / teritories.