Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

campaign performance in Canada

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

My name is Julien and this is my 1st post on adwords community.

I manage an adword account for the company I work for, in Canada. I get 2 search campaigns : one for French speaking users, and another one for English speaking users. I only target Canada.

My problem is the following : French campaign gets twice as many impressions and clicks as the English campaign. French speaking users only account for 20% of Canada total population.

I raised the bids for my English campaign as competition is stronger, and optimized keywords : I use modified broad match to avoid synonyms and conflicts among adgroups, created top performing adgroups for keywords that perform well (or keywords I must have anyway) and applied a huge bid for these top keywords. Keywords are of course sorted by adgroups, each adgroups having a specific ad text.

It helped : my impression rate for exact match is nearly 95-100%, number of clicks soared by a 40%, and number of conversions increased too.

But : I cannot believe that I reached the top. I should get 2 or 3 times more clicks compared to the French campaign. My CTR is twice the French one, giving me the impression that my message is well crafted for English speaking Canadians). Quality score for top keywords is actually good (minimum of 7/10)

Question : Is the impression rate on search network telling me that for my current bid, I am displayed almost everytime a user is searching for the keywords targetted ? If I bid more, will I get more impressions?

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas ! I am stuck !

Julien

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: campaign performance in Canada

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

I have a lot of random thoughts but not really a "solution."  Smiley Happy

First, I would suspect that there are a lot of US advertisers who target Canada and most of those US advertisers are advertising only in English. This means the competition for ad placement for your French ads is comparatively low. Achieving ad placement for them will be simpler. 

When you talk about the amount of the available traffic you're getting, two questions come to mind:

#1 - How much of your traffic is "top" placement, versus "other" placement?

#2 - Have you experimented with a wider range of keywords in the English campaign?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

You get a point with competition as French side has much lower competition VS english part of Canada. I would then think that we all share a slice of the pie and being a lot, we get a smaller part.

To answer your points : top 10 keywords account for 1/3 of the traffic. Top keywords are only 10 among a total of 400 keywords for the whole campaign (long tail !)

I tried broader match, additionnal keywords based on Google's suggestion, using keywords tools, meta glossary and even competition tracking tools Smiley Happy . Going wider, I get few nore conversions, but lower conversion rate, and when a user is converting (download of a free software), I get no conversion value the next month.

I also activated a flexible bid strategy for my top keywords (top page). My account average position is 2,5.

Julien

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning - 

Continuing to ask some questions that might help us get some ideas about whether or not there's more traffic available.

Clarification of my first question--when you go into the Keywords tab of your campaign, and Segment the view by Top vs Other, are you seeing a good percentage of your ad shows appearing on Top or are the vast majority of them on Other?

When you are on the Campaigns tab of our account, is there a little graph symbol next to your budget (daily spending) figure? If there is, you can check "campaign-wide" suggestions to see if it's suggesting there's any additional traffic you can bid for.

Is the Opportunities tab of your account offering any traffic-increasing suggestions?

Have you spot-checked keywords--go to the Keywords tab and hover your cursor over the image in the Status tab. Check a dozen or so keywords--are you seeing any messages about below-average performance that might explain why your access to search traffic is limited?

Have you double-checked your negative keyword list to make certain that you haven't accidentally added something as a negative that ended up blocking search traffic you actually wanted?

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answer :

- Main percentage of my ad shows appears on Top. Should I understand that this traffic (top) is better and appearing there is a performance indicator?

- Campaign-wide suggestions : yes, there is a graph : I am using CPA and it says no suggestions are available as I am using Conversion Optimizer: but I get your point. Increasing bids might help my traffic. There is possible improvement there. I'll check this further.

- Traffic increasing sugestions : there are no suggestions : I already used some of the keywords ideas. I checked the competitor menu, and it indicates that my ranking is good (5/5) compared to competition and also that the number of impressions is reaching my competitors average : good point.

- Keywords : some keywords have a low quality or below-average performance: as Christmas season is coming, competition is increased and I noticed that some keywords are now with a warning : this is linked to the quality score and I will work on this. Thanks !

- Negative keywords : I double checked indeed : I did not catch any possible conflicts.

I guess that the traffic I have is not so bad. I'm now checking the low performance keywords.

Thanks

Julien
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author julien c
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Good afternoon.

Generally, yes, the percentage of "Top" impressions versus "Other" impressions (on Google traffic only, not on Search Partners) is a sort of indicator of quality. It's a good indicator that your Ad Rank, an important quality metric, is very good. Really, I was just asking about indicators that might reveal a problem or a weakness somewhere in the campaign. 

You didn't mention using Conversion Optimizer previously.  Remember that as Conversion Optimizer runs, it does start eliminating low-potential searches/clicks from your traffic because it's trying to optimize conversions, not traffic volume. That could be the answer to your traffic volume question right there.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Julien,
if by "impression rate" you mean "impression share" ("Search Impr. share" column in the Keywords report), and if this is 100%, that means that your ads are showing to all the potential audience (to all the people that searched for your keywords), and with those keywords and geo and language targeting, you can not have more impressions. It seems you have reached the top for these KW. The only thing is to add more keywords, and/or change the languages and locations settings...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Theresa, and Thanks Igor for your last post.

More competition and indeed CPA is the cause : activating CPC last week for testing purposes validated the fact that CPA reduces traffic potential (for better conversions).

I know handle important keywords in CPC and rank them in adgroups by theme, and also performance. The counter part, is that the cost also increased : but by optimizing my bids and sorting keywords helped me to get more traffic, for a reasonnable cost.

Thanks !

Julien