4.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

campaign performance and Conversions went Down

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

From July 1st till July we had good performing campaigns (text ads and display banner ads) giving good conversions (leads). On July 15th we added campaign level tracking in the url of all the ads in all campaigns and added few negative keywords to avoid junk leads. The next day the performing campaigns went down and the cost per conversions went high, till now the performances were very worst. I saw the top mover report and it is reflecting the same cause for the problem i.e.

Possible causes:
    420 ads were paused.
    51 negative keywords were added

Can anyone please tell me what would be the next possible step should i take to make those campaigns perform and how long will those campaigns take to come back to normal?

Really stuck with this...Please help...If you need any more info feel free to ask me.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: campaign performance and Conversions went Down

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Are you talking about Display campaign performance? You said text ads and banner ads? Both running on display? Or text ads are on search?
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Iam only talking about Display campaign performance. Both running on Display (text display ads and Display banner ads).

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Sobha M,

51 negative kewyords for display campaign are lot. With display network we target content of a page and negative keywords does nt work as it works for search campaign. You can exclude categories to block junk traffic such as gaming sites, park domains etc.

Why you paused adcopies? Or these are the adcopies for which you have added campaign level tracking.

I think removing negative should help you bring back conversions.

Thanks
Neha Gupta
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
yes, These are the ad copies in which we have entered campaign level targeting in the each url. so, it is been paused and went for an approval from Google and got approved in 1 hrs of time. some expert told me since we changed the url of all the ad copies, all the ad copies treated as a new ads by the Google and it has been lost its old history of better CTR, bidding system, positions etc but i really no idea is it true.
Actually there are 143 negative keywords in the list. I have entered negative keywords like in the following pattern

exam
exams
examination
examinations
"air conditioner"
air conditioner

I have entered the above pattern of negative keywords for both search and display. I think as you suggested the above pattern will work for search ads but will create back fire for display ads.

Give your suggestion Neha, thank you for your time, very kind of you

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

The same happened to me in the search campaigns for one of my accounts.

I replaced all my ads with identical ads that have additional tracking parameters in the dest URL. The result was catastrophic - avg position went down from 3 to 7 with the same bids, so I obviously saw a big decrease in clicks.

My Google rep investigated this and said this can happen because the old ads had a long history which is lost when changing the URL. The only solution is to wait for the new ads to get their own "reputation".

So in the meantime I reactivated the old ads alongside the new ones so that the fall isn't so painful. The old ads still get me the clicks while the new ones are accumulating some history. I was hoping to see an improvement in the avg position of the new ads, but so far not much, and it's been a couple of months. I'm not sure how else to tackle this other than give up the new URLs.

To me this is ridiculous because Google should be able to recognize that this is the exact same ad with the same landing page, so I really sympathize with you Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@PPCer Thanks for sharing your experience

Even i have resumed the old ads but paused the new ads. Now the leads got increased and the CPC went down as expected. it’s been two months, still your new ads does not accumulate the history, there is something wrong with the Google. I will also try to activate the new ads alongside of the new ones and wait for the history to get accumulated.

What about the negative keyword, should i remove them or should i live as it is?.
How will be the behavior of these keywords when it comes to display ads only and search ads only?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

First post in this community need help to improve campaign performance

The similar situation happened with me, my campaign performance goes down since I changed my Landing page and display & destination URL, clicks, impression, position quality score and conversion everything went down

I just changed adcopies display and destination URL, does this impact on drop of campaign performance?

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I would add like what is the best way to edit existing adcopies, if I change Landing page to get history, impression , quality of individual adcopies same as old.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
@Sobha M

A quick update: The opposite of what I intended happened yesterday... my old ads with the average position 3 have aligned with the new ads, down at position 6-7. This is really bad, but all I can do now is try new ads and hopefully better QS will get me back there.
A pretty miserable situation.