2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

campaign negative topics in display network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

if i have a broad reach display network campaign, and i add campaign negative topics, will those topics be excluded for my automatic placements?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: campaign negative topics in display network

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi slozewski;

This is a very good question, that touches the essence of targeting on the display network;

Keywords on the display network function as a group. Each keyword contributes its part to an overall "contextual relevancy" between the group of keywords, and the content of the web-page. (Unlike, the search network, where only ONE most relevent keyword, trigger an ad)

Hence, by adding a negative keyword you reduce the likeness that your ad will appear on pages include this word, but you do NOT eliminate it completely, since, as explained, other keywords continue to contribute their share.

The result , you are less likely to find your ad on pages on the display network, that include negative keywords. However, if the contextual relevancy suggested that, on a specific page, the "positive keywords" ( intentionally, I do not call them broad match keywords - a term used on the search network) overweight the negative keyword(s) - your ad will appear.

I do hope that my explanation is clear: it underlies a major difference between the search network and the display network.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

That is an interesting question, and something I did not think to try... yet. Smiley Happy

I would say, YES. If you exclude a topic at the campaign level, that would prevent your ads from being shown on placements google determines to be part of that topic. However, I would be very cautious about such an approach, unless the topics are completely un-related. This could have the unforseen impact of drastically reducing your reach.

What type of targeting are you using? I have found topic targeting to be more highly targeted than keyword targeting, in general. I might try adding topics before I excluded any, and see if the targeting becomes more refined without any exclusions. For example, using a topic, and keywords, would mean (in theory) that only those topic placements, with a contextual theme related to the keywords would show ads. That may help cut down on some of the irrelavent placements, or pages on those placements, yet still allow the reach necceasry to find success on the display network. You never know what placements may seem irrelavent, but actually be quite profitable.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your post and interesting that you find- "I have found topic targeting to be more highly targeted than keyword targeting, i...". Is this conclusion based on better conversion metrics or the type of URL's you're seeing in your PPR?