AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

call only campaign cost When Clicked but not Called

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

With the new "Call Only" campaign options.  Are advertisers charged when the click occurs even if a call is not placed?

If so can you setup a rule for this so if "Keyword 1" get's 5 clicks but no actual call you can auto pause the keywords?

My real concern here is paying for a bunch of clicks that ultimately result in no phone call.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: call only campaign cost When Clicked but not Called

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi,

actually call only campaings are designed only for calls, not for clicks. It will display on a mobile device with a call number, when a person click on that "Phone call" will occur.

Please refer following link

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2015/02/charge-up-your-phones-with-call-only.html

Can you explain what you meant by "clicks without calls" here? 

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
You are charged when a user taps on the ad , as an intention to call. However a second action outside the browser is required to initiate the call, a tap on the green button of the phone app interface.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
We are seeing poor performance on actual calls but paying for a lot of clicks. I believe this is related to the period between the click and the client answering the call . My theory is that it's one or more of these:
1) surprised that click initiated a call not website visit like they're used to.
2) not clicking the call button to finish initiation of the ring.
3) hanging up during ringing but before call completion.

All of these are expensive. We need to be paying for completed calls, not call intent.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Seeing the same problem here. I called Google and asked what we can do about it, and got the whole "so sorry" act.

What's bothersome is that they provide a Google Forwarding Number so that they know how many calls are not getting through. They put the data right in your face but still charge you. The call only campaign ROI is amazing but the cost is 2x-3x what it should be.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just sharing my experience: 

I got 5 "clicks" last Thursday (April 30th 2015) but I don't have a single missed call or voice message on my cell. Already out $60, I paused all the campaigns and submitted a review by Google Adwords expert. 

I got the call this morning from a guy in India. He reviewed my campaigns over the phone, made a few suggestions, and cleaned/organized things up a bit. However, he did not address my concern which is that I'm paying for "calls" that I'm not actually getting. In fact, it felt like he was jumping around it the topic. 

I had to really drag the conversation back to the initial reason behind my call. He mentioned the possibility of connectivity issues, but ultimately did not have an answer for me. The phone number is accurate, and there wasn't a box that should have been checked, or a setting that should have been on/off anywhere in my account.

I was very excited to pay for phone calls, but it looks like this new feature still needs work. Google shouldn't advertise that I'm bidding on calls, because it looks like I've won 5 "auctions" and did not get my calls.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

After some experience with this feature I can enumerate many reasons why a click on the phone number does not turn into an actual phone call :

1) A 3 second delay between tapping the Ad and getting the phone app to launch and show the number , because 2 applications have to work at the same time, the browser and the phone app. This measurement is on a Samsung Note 3 and a 4G mobile network connection.

2) Previously educated behaviour : Being used to tap an Ad to get to the website, tapping a phone number from the Ad to get to the phone app is not my intended outcome, so I hit back on the phone because I wanted to see more details on the website before getting in touch with a representative.

3) Accidental taps : because the entire area of the Ad triggers the phone number, a tap on a white space in the ad rectangle leads to "initiate a call" which is not my intention.

4) Courage to call . Calling is a very different action than  browsing and it takes a level of courage to interract with another human being . Many people used to do lonely internet browsing are taken out of their comfort zone when they have to call instead of browse for an information. How many of your clients are shy ?

5) Speed .  I suppose this is why many give up at the calling time, because they are not enough motivated to spend 15 minutes during a call when they can browse 5 different websites in the same time. For many people calling for information instead of browsing for information is a waste of time.

At the end a call is a conversion so we shouldn't expect 1 call from 5 clicks, which is a 20% conversion rate. I am happy with a 2% conversion rate which is 1 call from 50 clicks on the "Call only ad" .

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
While I'm only now seeing your response I concur with all of your responses here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Something I tried to avoid getting clicks on call-only ads was to reduced the length of my display URL.

I figure the shorter and more generic it is the less likely someone will click on the URL.

i.e.

domain.ext
not domain.ext/keyword

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager
This 2015 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.