AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

call extensions on low-volume ad groups - has anyone got them working?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Has anyone been able to get call extensions to show for low-volume ad groups with under 20 clicks per month?  A google rep told me that for ad groups using google phone numbers, there was a minimum volume requirement of around 20-50 clicks per month, but that if we supply our own forwarding number, there should be no minimum volume requirement.

However, we've tried setting several ad groups to use our own forwarding number, but they still do not get any phone impressions. I'm not sure whether we have something set incorrectly or whether the google rep was mistaken about this.

This policy is really making it hard for our clients who have lower-volume accounts to get any phone impressions. Combined with the recent ban on phone numbers in ads, the ROI these clients are getting from adwords has really plummeted.

Has anyone here found a way to get call extensions working in lower volume ad groups?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: call extensions on low-volume ad groups - has anyone got them work

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello HYSPPC,

I dont think that the volume has anything to do with why you would be receiving less impressions from before?  Have you updated to Enhanced Camapigns & adjusted your bids accordingly, that could be an issue.

Generally & I say that very loosely is generally if the Google Rep says that then they are probably right.

Also, have a look into your impression share & see how much impressions you are getting versus your competitors.  Also your bids & quality scores can affect how much your ads are impressing.

Hope this helps.

PPCSophie

PPCSophie

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
*correction* I meant to say I dont think that its a low volume ad group has anything to do with you not receiving less clicks from before, if the keywords qualify for being in the auction & dont say "below first page bid" or "low volume" then I think its something to do with your settings.
PPCSophie

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Several google reps have confirmed that there is a minimum volume requirement and that ad groups with volume below 20-50 clicks per month will not have call extensions shown.

One rep told me it was possible to avoid this requirement by using my own phone number instead of one supplied by google. A different rep disagrees with this. They can't both be right. I'm hoping that the first rep is correct and I am just missing something, but my fear is that the 2nd rep is right.

I should clarify that the rep who told me to use my own phone number to avoid the minimum volume requirements said this would only work for ads showing on mobile devices. The campaign I am working on targets mostly mobile devices (bids for mobile are set 300% higher than for desktop )

I'm hoping someone who uses phone extensions in their ads has been through a similar experience and can share whether they have found a way to get extensions working in low-volume ad groups.

Please note that I'm talking about phone impressions not just ad impressions.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello guys;

To be clear on that;

There is a requirement for minimum calls per ad-group to have call extensions shown. Google does not disclose the number, but the 30-50 is a number I also heard. (Thoughת has never been confirmed - I think it is a flexible one- per campaign performance.)

According to Google the "rule" applies to both "forwarding numbers" and to your own number;

Quoting "straight from the horse's  mouth":

""Keep in mind that your ad group will have to receive a minimum number of clicks to be able to show call extensions, and a minimum number of calls to show a Google forwarding number."

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704420

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’