AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

broad (session-based) queries

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

broad (session-based) queries - I believe I know what these are, but I want to confirm - 

Users search on KWs that prompt an ads.  Then the same user makes another search "intra-session" on a KW that does not match our ads, but we come up in the search results anyway?   Or perhaps do we come up only if they clicked on us, bounced, and w

Anyhow, I'm pretty certain of the answer to ultimate question, but I am posing it anyway - can I turn off my eligibility for this exposure, as my experience across every account is that broad session-based queries do not perform.   It's not awful, just always out of bounds from a unit cost perspective.

It seems odd that Google has concluded that showing up under queries irrelevant to my ad copy is so awesome, that providing some elective toggle is always not necessary.

Regards, Doug
LinkedIn  
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: broad (session-based) queries

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

If you're using broad match keywords, you cannot "turn off" session-based query serving, no. It's fundamental to the broad match type that it serves the widest potential pool of searches. You might want to check into using Modified broad match, instead?

If you're using Phrase & Exact match keywords, there is a place on the Campaign Settings tab where you can turn on/off "expanded" searches for those types of keywords. Most "expanded" searches are misspellings and plurals but occasionally other types of searches are matched.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Theresa,

I use modified broads all the time.

I fail to understand the reasoning behind the widest potential pool argument. Relevance is still the foremost criteria, and if someone is doing subsequent search and my set of KWs can't stand on their own, in terms of auction eligibility, that's good. My numbers are stark - 2x cost/conversion over the average (for relevant broad terms).

This is for a big account, pretty well optimized.

I am not getting google's reasoning. Broad terms - wide pool - I get it.... but these session-based queries are much less relevant - frankly a majority are irrelevant.
Regards, Doug
LinkedIn  

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

I agree that most sophisticated advertisers avoid generic broad match search terms most of the time. Like everything, broad match keywords have their uses. 

For example, not all markets have keywords (and ROI) that are easy to define. A short period of advertising on broad match can provide valuable keyword insight to help them discover just how their customers search for their product or service. When running a campaign for discovery, those "session-based" search queries are every bit as valuable--sometimes more valuable--than any other category of search query. 

When I use modified broad match keywords, I accept that the appearance of "session-based" search terms are part of the cost of that type of matching and keep my negative keyword list robust to eliminate wasting money on unwanted clicks.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Doug,

I share your frustration on some accounts, yet on plenty of other accounts I manage, I find that session based serving can be quite a benefit. I guess one size never does fit all!

To answer your question, though, Theresa is right - you need to either use the Broad Match Modifier or resort to stricter (phrase / exact) matching.

You could try negative matches if you find a particular trend that keeps recurring

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Doug,
What Theresa said. Standard broads are best for testing.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've also seen some useful session-based matches, but for the most part I find it to be a frustrating feature. I prefer showing ads based on search query relevance rather than user relevance.

Question for all of you:

I've only seen session-based matches on long-tail keywords with little to no-competition. Have you seen session-based matches on keywords with competition?