AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

broad match keyword performance

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

I have recently started a new job for a small b2b startup that holds a very specific niche market.  My predecessor here was targeting markets via broad match keywords (without modification),  she was very new at ppc.  I revamped the account to include relevant, modified broad & similar keywords across the board and am experiencing more negative results with higher cpcs (max cpc has stayed the same however budget has increased.)  Ad copies and landing pages have not changed.  I have been doing AdWords for over a year and a half now and can not make sense of this. 

Best,

-Nai

1 Expert replyverified_user

broad match keyword performance

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Tai L,

My understanding is that on more specific keywords targeting applied to the account, you find yourself paying more for clicks. That's often the case after getting rid of a pretty high number of cheap and useless clicks that originated from too broad keyword targeting. Left with the more expensive and more useful clicks, you should not be surprised by a higher avg CPC.

Anyway, your ROAS (Return On Ad Spend) metric should be regarded as the bottom line.

Best,

Lakatos