AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

bidding on product listing ads

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

How do bids on PLAs differ from those on text ads for you guys? I'm finding that we're paying a lot less per click, but does anybody have any thoughts on bidding a certain percentage of what you would for the same products in a text advert?

Thanks,

Neil

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: bidding on product listing ads

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

How granular is your PLA campaign, do you bid at the product level or you bid on many products the same amount ?

You bid for the words that appear mainly in your Title and Description of the products, it is not the same thing with bidding on 1 keyword from the search campaign.

Bidding on a product is like bidding on a "collection of keywords" at the same time. At least that is how I see it from what I've learned so far.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Generally I tend to bid more aggressively for PLA ads since they seem to convert better - and as a result the cost per conversion is lower.

Not always the case, but a general tendency.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Our PLAs aren't particularly granular at the moment, but I'm working on that.

But once I get to a point where I can be as specific as possible with my PLAs, should I be upping my bids until I'm happy with the volume of impressions? (impression share doesn't show for product listing ads, is this correct?)

Thanks,

Neil

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

You should bid in small 20-30% increments per week until you get a maximum conversion rate. Bidding higher sometimes can back-fire and give a lower conversion rate like this experiment from today who attempted a double bid.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/Higher-CPC-getting-less-conversion-Can-anyon...

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'll give that a try, thank you Steve and Adrian for your responses.

Neil