Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

bidding on product listing ads

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

How do bids on PLAs differ from those on text ads for you guys? I'm finding that we're paying a lot less per click, but does anybody have any thoughts on bidding a certain percentage of what you would for the same products in a text advert?

Thanks,

Neil

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: bidding on product listing ads

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

How granular is your PLA campaign, do you bid at the product level or you bid on many products the same amount ?

You bid for the words that appear mainly in your Title and Description of the products, it is not the same thing with bidding on 1 keyword from the search campaign.

Bidding on a product is like bidding on a "collection of keywords" at the same time. At least that is how I see it from what I've learned so far.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Generally I tend to bid more aggressively for PLA ads since they seem to convert better - and as a result the cost per conversion is lower.

Not always the case, but a general tendency.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Our PLAs aren't particularly granular at the moment, but I'm working on that.

But once I get to a point where I can be as specific as possible with my PLAs, should I be upping my bids until I'm happy with the volume of impressions? (impression share doesn't show for product listing ads, is this correct?)

Thanks,

Neil

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

You should bid in small 20-30% increments per week until you get a maximum conversion rate. Bidding higher sometimes can back-fire and give a lower conversion rate like this experiment from today who attempted a double bid.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/Higher-CPC-getting-less-conversion-Can-anyon...

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'll give that a try, thank you Steve and Adrian for your responses.

Neil