Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

bid strategy: Target search page location vs Maximize clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

A Google account strategist contacted me today about the tweaks I can do to my Adwords account.

Under bid strategy, she suggested that I select "Target search page location" so that my ads would come on top to improve visibility and chances of people clicking on the advert. When I asked her what is the diff between this strategy and "Maximize clicks", I could not really understand what she was saying.

Can anyone kindly enlighten me on their differences and also share under what kind of situations these two approaches would be suitable for?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jack S
September 2015

Re: bid strategy: Target search page location vs Maximize clicks

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jack, the key difference is cost per click.  If your Ads appear at the top of the page they're going to cost more so for a given budget you'll get fewer clicks.  If you use the Maximise Clicks strategy you'll get more clicks, but your ad position will be lower, potentially affecting performance.

For example, if your budget was $50 a day and Ads at position #1 were typically $2 a click, you could get 25 clicks a day.  If your Ads were at position #4, their CPC might be around $1.50 (made up figures) so you could get 33 clicks per day.

Which you choose will really rely upon experimentation.  Ads at the top of the page display Ad extensions (sitelinks, callouts, etc.) and generally speaking get a better click through rate.  However, they do tend to cost more, so from a return on investment point of view you may find they're too expensive.

Juggling with CPC bids is one of the key Account management skills so it's important you give this some thought.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello Jack,

Maximize clicks automatically sets bids to help you get the most clicks within a 'target spend amount' that you choose and Target search page location bid strategy automatically adjusts bids to help you get your ads to the 'top of the page or the first page' of search results.

Find more information about when to use it, in the link below.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2979071?hl=en

Hope this helps,

Deepak
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jack S
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jack, the key difference is cost per click.  If your Ads appear at the top of the page they're going to cost more so for a given budget you'll get fewer clicks.  If you use the Maximise Clicks strategy you'll get more clicks, but your ad position will be lower, potentially affecting performance.

For example, if your budget was $50 a day and Ads at position #1 were typically $2 a click, you could get 25 clicks a day.  If your Ads were at position #4, their CPC might be around $1.50 (made up figures) so you could get 33 clicks per day.

Which you choose will really rely upon experimentation.  Ads at the top of the page display Ad extensions (sitelinks, callouts, etc.) and generally speaking get a better click through rate.  However, they do tend to cost more, so from a return on investment point of view you may find they're too expensive.

Juggling with CPC bids is one of the key Account management skills so it's important you give this some thought.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

bid strategy: Target search page location vs Maximize clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

i would like to ask you about my case, 

i was running Max.CPC bid strategy, and I got a good impressions and clicks,

Then, i changed it to “Target page location” in order to be on the top place for google search results and it’s okay for me to minimize the click ratio than before

But, my question is, does this bid strategy effects my ads on google display network? So it will stop showing my image or text ads on google display network?

thanks