AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

bid display network

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all (been some time, buy I´m still out there : )

I´ve been doing some intense studying on display network bidding recently, but I can´t get to the bottom with how bidding works when you have multiple targeting methods and some or all apply at the same time. Which bid is used and why if you have different bids for different targeting?
This page is the best resource I ´ve found on the topic: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882?hl=en

And it seems to show that there is some kind of hierarchy between different targeting when it comes to bidding, but it doesn´t reveal what.
Look under "How to combine targeting methods if you'd like to narrow your reach". Why is the bid for a specific targeting used and not the other...?

I do remember having read an explanation on the system having a preference for more narrow targeting (placement being more narrow than topic, for example), but I can´t find it now.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David_Precisera
September 2015

Re: bid display network

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@David_Precisera T

those are just examples:
As I mentioned in my answer the bid used depends whether you use "target and bid" or "bid only", whether you use a KW level bidding or the default bid.
There is no hierarchy: there is "chosen bid"

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi David,

In your reference given above, did you check this part which explains the part you might be looking for. Here's the screenshot out of that:-

Display.png

Does that help?

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi David; @David_Precisera ;

I agree that this section of the help  center is confusing. I would also agree that  targeting methods on display should be revamped and simplified...

If you go using "target and bid", you are targeting the "overlapping" users. (The AND condition applies). In this case, only one bid id used (i.e the default ad-group bid, or if, for example, topics and KWs, the KW level bid is used.)

If you go by "bid only": the OR condition applies, and then you could set a different bid for  the "other targeting method" . In this case the bid of the targeting method used to match the ad to a page is used. (e.g. If a KW was matched with a page, then the KW bid used. If a topic is matched, then the topics bid is used.)

Things are further complicated with Remarketing and interests. But I will skip this part for now...

A few points to remember;

Using keywords:  you could assign  a different bid for each keyword.

On top of all bids you could apply bid adjustments;

And, for this to work,  at the "ad group level" you should pick "manual CPC"

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I am (i think, hopefully...) aware of all complications that you to suggest for bidding on the display network (and you didn´t even [mention] the "agressive" VS "conservative", formerly known as campaign optimizer sort of..)
Thanks anyway.

I´ve read the page Pankaj inserted over and over. My question is simply this one: when you are using multiple targeting methods - which one is ultimately used in the auction? And what is the rule behind that?
Why is the Placement bid used in the first row and the Topics in the last?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David_Precisera
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@David_Precisera T

those are just examples:
As I mentioned in my answer the bid used depends whether you use "target and bid" or "bid only", whether you use a KW level bidding or the default bid.
There is no hierarchy: there is "chosen bid"

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Okay, you can only choose one of course, I get it, thanks both of you