Guide Me
star_border

best way to structure my keyword list?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Hoping someone can offer their insight on this. Rather than asking specific questions, I thought I would just lay it all out there and hopefully someone can provide me with some advice.

I would like to have 1 ad group called "Tutor", that has only 1 ad, and basically I want to capture search queries that have to do with the central term tutor associated with these secondary terms: private, one on one, high school, toronto.

I would like my ad to be triggered when the central term tutor is used with any combination, any order, and any number of these secondary terms.

These are some examples of search queries:

tutor private (1 secondary term used)

one on one tutor in toronto for high school (3 secondary terms used)

one on one tutor in toronto (2 secondary terms used)

As you can see, there is a different number of secondary terms used, different combination of secondary terms used, and different order of secondary terms used with the central term tutor.

I would also like it so that my ad will not be triggered when the term tutor is used with anything other than the secondary terms, for example, swimming tutor, and I am wondering if there is a way to do this with having a long list of negative keywords.

Is there a simple way to go about all this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Eugene,

Simple is not the answer. Spend an hour or two getting the structure right and your chances of profiting from AdWords improve dramatically. One ad group would be a mistake. Use AdWords Editor and building many ad groups is actually quite easy if the majority of the ad copy is the same. 

Make an ad group for each secondary keyword combo you can think of:

Tutor - Private

Tutor - One on One Toronto

Tutor - One on One High School

In each just use one BMM keyword 

+tutor +private

+tutor +one +on +one

+tutor +one +on +one +high +school

Write ad copy that has all the keywords in the headlines. Send them to unique landing pages that emphasise the secondary keyword, if you have them.

If the above is not getting you enough visitors, make an ad group with just one keyword:

+tutor

Add as many negatives you can think of (like swimming). Check the search term report every day and ad more negatives. 

For all of these, start with low bids, aim for positions #3 or #4. Only when you know which are doing well, and which ad copy is working, should you try higher bids.

And make sure you have conversion tracking around forms and your phone number. Otherwise you won't know what is working for you.

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

The short answer is no. Because, you are focusing on everything but the most important part of the equation - The ad content.

What kind of high school tutoring in Toronto do you do, or specialize in? You need to make that clear in the ad content, because you do not know which search term a specific user is searching for relating to tutoring. If all they search for is 'tutor', and they are looking for a swim tutor, then no combination of keywords is going to prevent that user from clicking on your ad, unless you make it clear in the ad copy what kind of tutoring services you provide. (One on one math tutor, language, science, college prep, all of the above?)

For all you know, 'tutor' could be the most profitable search term, even though it also the most generic, and highest volume. You shouldn't assume that the end user is going to refine their query to a point where it meets your criteria of acceptability. In fact, the KW 'one on one tutor in Toronto for high school' is one word shy of the 10 word limit for targeted KW's. Yes, there may be one person who searches for that exact term, but 'tutor near me', or 'high school tutor' are likely to be higher volume search terms, and specific enough for the end user to find what they are looking for.

If you are only targeting the Toronto area (city, province, radius), location modifiers may or may not have much volume. Especially with the increase in mobile device queries (amongst youths in particular), and Google's continued location identification and targeting improvements, location specific modifiers are becoming less necessary to the end user.

The simplest way to go about accomplishing your advertising objective may be to:

Create an adgroup (maybe even a single adgroup campaign) for 'tutor'. Try at least two (but, no more than three) ads that help to demonstrate not only what kind of tutoring services you provide, but also the unique value proposition of your specific services. "Personal, Professional High School Tutoring". "Specializing in Math, Science...", etc. Then, make sure you go through your search terms report. Add the highest volume, best converting underlying exact match search terms, and exclude any high volume unrelated 'tutor' queries. If you do find that 'swim tutor' generates a high volume of impressions, exclude swim / swimming as a negative broad match term (account level negative KW list, campaign, or adgroup).

If you start off with a small budget, and a small, manageable structure, then you will know what kind of search terms users in your target market are searching for, what to add, and what to exclude - Before you ever get to a point of scale where you end up throwing money away on irrelevant terms.

Conversely, if you assume that some combination of long tail KW's will actually have any search volume, or be more relevant, without taking ad content and user queries into consideration - You could end up wasting a lot of time and effort in the front end, and not find the success you are looking for.

One more thing - Make sure you have a conversion strategy in place! If the goal of the advertising is to get more phone calls, or contact confirmations, make sure you have some way to track those goal conversions through AdWords/analytics. If you have a conversion strategy in place, and you take the time to analyze the data, your customers will tell you what they are searching for, and what they want to see as a result.

Don't think, know! Smiley Happy

Tom