AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

avg. view per cookie greater than freq. capping?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, one of our video campaigns has the frequency capping set to 2 views per week, however if I add the avg. view freq. per cookie in column, it shows 3.0 for the last 3 days. It's higher than what we intended because we want to reach more people and be less annoying to those already seen our ads. Did I do anything wrong? What can I do to decrease it?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Richard, 

Good question. 

This sometimes happens when you've set the frequency cap at a time where the user has already exceeded it. It can also happen when your timezone is different to anothers. 

Are you seeing anything greater than 1 additional view over?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Richard L
February 2017

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Richard,

There are several contributing factors as to why that might happen.

Firstly, human error. Like @Dave_Davis already said, you might have changed the frequency after the campaign already started, or set the frequency cap to ad group level showing the same cookie ads from multiple ad groups.

Secondly, the cookie count is not actually a real number, it is an estimation due to many corrections and adjustments made in order to show a more reliable data due to the volatility of cookies.

Lastly and most importantly, only viewable impressions are counted against the frequency cap while the column you are comparing contains both viewable and unviewable impressions. Meaning the same cookie could be served 2 viewable impressions and an unknown number of unviewable impressions. 

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

About 1 over, but if I extend the time duration longer it would drop back to normal, this only happens for a new campaign.