2.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

adwords not working anymore

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I used  to  get  20  leads  when  I put  in $100  now  I get  about  7  what  happened  these  are  real  estate  leads  Dennis Matson

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: adwords not working anymore

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

If you have not make any changes in account then check if your converting keywords are getting enough clicks and also monitor their position and competition

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Dennis,

1. Check the changes history: Have you made any recent changes to the campaign. Review them, if any.
  2. If there are no changes in account at all then
    1. Is there any change in conversion rate? Same CTR and drop in conversion rate may be because of some changes on the landing pages on the website.
    2. If the conversion rate is almost same, you might be getting less no. of clicks due change in external factors like change in competitors bid and you are losing the ad rank.

Can you list observed changes in CTR, conversion rates, avg position, QS. Because these metrics can help improving the performance.

Cheers

SJ

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dennis. I have the same problem. Google ads are no longer efficient. I spend €4,000 per month on them and they don't bring me enough conversions any longer. I have just looked at 2010 figures and got at this time about 1 lead per 4 click. Now I get something like 1 lead per 50 clicks. It is not working any longer and Google should take care about that because I think people like me will leave very soon.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Renaud,
ofcourse, adwords may not be working for some people due to different reasons, but its doing well for most of the business.
if done properly, it may also work for you, but yes you can't ignore the competition and the way people are doing more research before making any purchase.
so you can't blame google at all....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have a long experience in working with adwords. And I have seen the huge decrease in conversions and clicks. I thought first that we might do something wrong. But I know now that it is a long term trend. Too many people advertise now.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni

It is true that the advertising environment is very competitive these days, and getting more so all the time.

The answer is to make sure that you regularly analyze your account and work constantly to improve performance. 

The ad text that worked well three years ago might not work today. The landing page(s) that produced good results from website visitors a year or two ago may look outdated or not have the right messaging for today's searchers. The bid that got your ads displayed high in the results last year may not be as competitive this year. The keywords with the highest "intent" to take action might be different today.

Because no one in this discussion has offered any specifics about the actual metrics in their campaigns, there are very few things I might be able to offer as help.

Generally, I would suggest running long-term performance reports, month-by-month, in your accounts, trying to pinpoint when your results began to change. In addition, run long-term keyword and search term reports. Check activity for the time when your accounts were performing well and for when performance started to decline. You need to pinpoint when and how things changed and start from there, optimizing and rebuilding to get the return your need for your advertising investment.

Good luck!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*