Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

advanced location option is not working

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I have Campaign A and Campaign B with same set of keywords and related to same product. Campaign A is targeting with People in my targeted location (ex: Texas) and Campaign B is targeting with entire US and excluded Texas (as already I am targeting with state specific campaign). 

From Campaign B I used to get traffic and orders from rest of Texas with decent CPA. Recently I have paused this campaign and changed my targeting location for Campaign A from People in my targeted location to People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location (recommended). After One month I have ran the Geo performance report and shocked I am not getting traffic from other states like earlier (Campaign B). And also observed Google is giving unspecified location for user interested in your target location.

Why I am not getting traffic with People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location (recommended) option from other states like my earlier Campaign B (targeting to entire US and excluded Texas)

Please note there is no change in keywords from Campaign A and Campaign B both campaigns having state specific (location) keywords.

Thanks,

Satya

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: advanced location option is not working

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Dear Satya,

As per your question you changed only People in my targeted location to People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location (recommended). in Location options (advanced) and you haven't change the targeting location Texas to United States.

That's why you not getting any traffic from entire US.

Thanks

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Vivek,
With this advanced location option, People in my targeted location to People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location (recommended) Your ad can appear for anyone who is likely to be physically located in your targeted location. Your ad can also appear for anyone who shows interest in your targeted location. People can show interest through terms used in their searches, content that they view online, if they were recently in a location, or other methods. There is no need to change targeting location.

Thanks,
Satya

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Satya,

I could be wrong but is both campaigns A & B targeting the entire US? If so they will be competing with each other thus hurting your campaign results.

Also in locations reports unless you add ALL the states you will ONLY get results based on the US. You can find a more detailed report on converting users based on state/city if you do Dimensions -> User Locations IF this fails I'd double check via Google Analytics and search Audience -> Geo -> Location
Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Satya,

Although Campaign B excluded Texas, you may have still been receiving Texas-based orders from people who were on vacation or traveling, but ordered items for delivery to their homes.

Another situation that could account for this is that people were getting gifts for others, or ordering on behalf of someone else who lives in Texas.

Another situation could be people who live near Texas borders with other states could have been perceived as being from outside of Texas by Google, and therefore shown the ads.

Lastly, sometimes the location targeting doesn't work perfectly.

However, now, your Campaign A targets only Texas, but allows for the possibility to show ads to people who are in another geography but are searching for this particular product in the Texas area. Statistically speaking, the chances of someone outside of Texas searching for something specifically within Texas are probably much lower than the probability of Texans making an order when they are on vacation, traveling for work, or are near the border somewhere.

It's hard to tell, but this would be my thought as to why the discrepancy would occur.