AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

adcopy optimisation

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys

I wonder if anyone can shed some light, I have two adgroups running (one exact match and the other phrase) and I had 3 different ads running for 7 days.  After the 7 days I noticed one of the ads was considerably behind the other 2 ads I had written on both match types.

So I paused the poorest performing ad and took the best performing ad and changed it slightly to see if I could improve it. (I changed the position of my price from the end of the sentance to the beginning)

After about two days I have checked it and noticed that the new ad I wrote is out performing the previous best performing ad (on both phrase and exact match types) in terms of click through, however it has been shown only a small percentage of the time.

Ideally if all 3 adds were shown equally I could definitely decide which is better but because it has been show only for 10% of the time and the other advert has been shown for 80% of the time I don't feel I can trust the figures I am seeing.

So what I would like to know is why isn't google showing my new advert as frequently as this other ad and secondly how long should I be waiting before drawing a conclusion on which ad is actually the better performer?

Other information which might be helpful, the new ad which is performing better has a lower average position and I am also paying more per click for the better performing ad?  I had thought if the ad had better CTR I would be paying less per click?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: adcopy optimisation

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Michael;

This is a very nice question;

The scenario you outlined is one that could happen when you let a machine to make decisions,  while there isn't enough data which is statistically significant.  Smiley Surprised

The system would pick a better  performing ad and would  give its advantage in impressions when the CTR is  statistically significantly better than other ads. For this to happen there should be a  enough impressions to make a decision.

What many advertisers do is to rotate all ads evenly. (There is an option for "even rotation" in campaign settings) Choosing this option will let you test  yourself which ad performs better.

Another option is to run an Adwords experiment for different ad-copies. The system will "identify" the ad which has  the statistically significant best performance. This, however, requires some background in statistics, in order to analyze  and understand the results.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello MosheTLV

I think I understand what you are saying, so moving forward I will ask adwords to rotate my ads evenly and leave for.......(how long would you say, be long enough to determine the winner accurately?)

Also I have another dilema I noticed that the advert I initially paused because it performed poorly in terms of CTR was actually out performing the best performing ad (at the time) in terms of conversions???

I was primarily concerned with improving my CTR when I tweaked my ad copy but now looking at it I'm starting to think.......isn't my ultimate goal sales and therefore.....an advert that performs slightly worse in terms of CTR but much better in terms of conversions - isn't that better.......

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Yep. The ultimate goal is eventually, conversions
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’