Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

ad status errors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! 

I'm having several problems with my Ad Words campaign. I'll get right to the point: 

1. Even though my keyword QS it's pretty good, but my ads keep coming up as 'not showing'. Having said that, when I actually type my keyword into Google, my ad DOES show up. Why does AdWords say 'no' when in fact the ad is showing? 

adwords1.png

I just want to point out that all my keywords are 'exact match' so there shouldn't be any issues with other keywords triggering the ads. 

2. I'm having the same problem when I check the status of the ads themselves. The ads are showing, but AdWords tells me otherwise. 

adwords2.png

Something I did recently which might have triggered this was, I turned all my ads into their own adgroup and assigned them each a single keyword . This improved the quality score, but then the above started happening. I believe this is the SKAG method. 

I would be extremely grateful to anyone who could help me out! 

Cheers!

1 Expert replyverified_user

ad status errors

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Shawn,

When you say you recently made the ad group changes... how recently? The reason I ask is that there can be a delay with what you are seeing in your account and what is happening in the wild. The system has to catch up with any changes you make. For every change comes a series of reactions from AdWords to ascertain what happened... and why. 

Kind Regards,

James

ad status errors

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

In addition to what @J Clemens said, the box also says you have a low ad rank. Check the Average Position over the past few days, and if it is pretty low (below position 5) then you should increase the bids and monitor. 

However, I have seen these notifications before and I do not give much weight to "Ads Showing Now? - No" because I can tell if they are showing and how well they are doing by looking at the metrics. 

Re: ad status errors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi James,

I made those changes I described in my inquiry, around January 27th. Those
changes took effect and seemed to improve our quality score but then we
started getting these inconsistencies.

Thanks James!

ad status errors

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Shawn B,

Just as Dean has said, I wouldn't worry about it at this time. It sounds like it is all fine at the moment... and to give it another 4-5 days.

What you could do now is to change up your AdWords dashboard by adding in some custom columns. 

1) Go to All Campaigns tab.

2) Locate the Columns dropdown menu and click modify columns.

3) Locate Competitive Metrics.

4) Add Search IS (rank), Search IS (budget), Display IS (rank), Display IS (budget).

5) Hit apply. 

Now let's go to the Keywords tab and add some custom columns there. You can actually do this for all the tabs across your account, as desired. Keep in mind that too much info will cause more headaches and removing important ones will make management harder, too. 

1) Go to Keywords tab.

2) Locate the Columns dropdown menu and click modify columns.

3) Locate Attributes.

4) Add Qual. score and Est. first page bid. 

5) Locate Competitive Metrics.

6) Add Search Lost IS (rank)

7) Click Apply. 

At this point, your dashboard should be better set up to help you quickly see what is happening with your performance. 

There is a Dimensions tab that is really important to utilize regularly. It has a drop down menu that many people overlook.

Go through each metric is shows and learn what your campaigns are doing. You can see plenty of relevant info and it is fun to see it all, too.   

Kind Regards,

James

ad status errors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much! I will do that. Thank you for your response. 

ad status errors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you kindly for your advice. I'm not sure what those particular metrics calculate, but I'll look into it. I've never made use of the Dimensions tab either. Thank you for that suggestion. I'll have to learn about that as well. Great suggestions! Thanks. 

ad status errors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Dean!