Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

ad scheduling restrictions decrease performance of campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've had a couple of campaigns running for a few weeks now and they were performing relatively well. I have a $10 a day budget for each and usually was maxing out each day. My ads were running 24 hours a day, or until budget maxed out.

Then this week I made a custom schedule for one campaign, and restricted the ad to show for only a few hours Tue, Wed, Thu due to a live chat feature on the website. This really lowered the performance of that campaign, and my other campaign which I had not changed at all.

I assumed that if I kept my budget the same, the ad would be shown more regularly during the few hours to reach the amount of clicks needed to max out the budget. I know that these were generally popular times of day for impressions and clicks so that is not the issue. Can someone give me a suggestion on what I can do? Also, am most concerned about the poor performance of the other campaign which I had not made any changes to.

Has anyone had similar experiences to this? I called Google but they didn't really have any suggestions other than to try and optimize my keywords which were already working well enough.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: ad scheduling restrictions decrease performance of campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Try using the "accelerated" delivery method for your ads, that shows ads more quickly until the budget is reached, It has worked for me for the campaigns that have ad scheduling. I hope that works for you too Smiley Happy

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Yeah as bineeta said. Try accelerated delivery method for your ads.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Petra, personally, I wouldn't recommend using accelerated delivery since this is likely to exhaust your budget very rapidly - possibly in a very short period of time - and with such a low budget is unlikely to be the most useful method of delivering your Ads.

Can you explain a little more about how the performance "lowered" when you reduced the schedule?  Your reasoning here is correct - if you had £10 a day all day and then restricted the Campaign to just a few hours your Ads should be shown more frequently (unless the Ads were pretty much only being clicked in these hours anyway).

A couple of things to check for:  Firstly, have a look at your Search Funnels report for Conversions.  The "path" to a conversion often includes two or more clicks and one of the problems of very restricted scheduling can be that the potential buyer can click the first time but not the second (or vice versa).  I'd also want to look at your daily variations - some Accounts see a very marked difference in peformance from day to day so if you looked at long term data for your hourly reports, you may have missed that, for example, Thursdays were a poor day anyway.

You've only actually mentioned clicks and impressions.  Are you not tracking conversions?  If not, can you give us some details of how you're measuring performance?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits