Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

activating low volume key words

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have just completed a detailed list of 60 key words for my camaign. I have chosen to select exact match for all my keywords because with broad match I was getting too many irrevelant clicks. Many of my key words are location specific to my state and city and describe my business, these are coming up as low volume and not active, unfortunatley many of these words are exactly what I need in search for customer to find my business.

Can anybody help with a solution where I have control of making my keywords active without changing them.

Thanks. 

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: activating low volume key words

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good afternoon.

You cannot force "low volume" keywords to serve ad traffic. Specific search queries are either in the advertising databaseor they're not.

I agree that Broad match can provide far too many irrelevant search queries in some market,s but have you tried Modified Broad match?  I would recommend considering which keyword match types you're offering in general, but Modified Broad can provide a lot more traffic than Phrase or Exact, but more targeted traffic than just plain Broad match.

Aside from that, the geotargeting you have set for your campaign should be providing a lot/most of the 'filtering' to get traffic from your desired location(s) so it may be that you don't need the city/state modifiers?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Mick,

I hope you don't think I'm a jerk for responding with questions but after reading your post that's what I'm left with.  If you'd like to take some time and elaborate on some things, I think we can get you pointed in the right direction.  

If you're interested in digging in a little, let's start here:

Are you a brick and mortar business/sell something online? Do you sell products and/or services? Where are your potential customers located that you're trying to reach through AdWords?  Which locations are you targeting? US, The World, Michigan?

Did you do research on your keywords as you built your list?  Did you run them through the keyword planner (or any other tools) to check on search volumes for your target locations?  

I will probably have more, but this will paint a little better picture for me to respond.

-Tommy 

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Mick M,

In my experience, adding geographic modifiers to your keywords will almost always result in a low volume warning. It's not necessarily because people don't use those same geographic modifiers in their search queries. Google may be stripping those modifiers before compiling the impression and click data for that query.

You broad match didn't get the same warning because words from the query also appear in the keyword along with the geographic modifier, so they still trigger ads. But the QS you see in the UI is based on exact match. In many cases you will see the low volume warning, but your ad actually still serves. That's because it's based on exact match. QS is calculated each and every time it is used. QS for a broad match keyword will likely change for every query.

The better way to go about this would be to use geo-targeting, that's done at the campaign level. Then don't use geographic modifiers in your keywords, Google will figure all that out for you.

Now, go back to your broad match keywords, you may need to change the date range to see them. Select them all and run a search terms report. This should tell you which queries are successful for you and help identify irrelevant queries. Make the successful queries either phrase or exact match (or both), then add the unsuccessful one as negative phrase or exact match.

Take those broad match keywords and add them back in as BMM to reduce the number of irrelevant impressions.

In the campaign settings set the appropriate option. "Include search intent" if you want clicks from people who have include location in their query but live outside your target location. Set "physical location only" if you only want folks from within the state.

For the city, you could put a bid multiplier in the ad group, but it would probably be more effective for you to make a new campaign for the city and exclude it from the state campaign. That way ads for the city can show the city name and ads in the state campaign can show the state name. If all ads show the city name a separate campaign may not be necessary, but queries from within the city are more profitable, the bid multiplier may be a better option. You'll have to make that decision yourself.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords