6.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

account restructure - how long does it take to "bounce back"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I have been given the task of managing my company's existing adwords account. I don't have much experience with PPC or adwords, but I've been through lots of tutorials and help center articles and have a pretty solid understanding. On first impression of this account, the structure seemed way too broad and users aren't getting to the most relevant page on our site because of it, so I want to re-do it. This account carries a lot of historical data and it is my understanding that if I go either moving things around in the current account OR creating a whole new account from scratch (ideal), there will be a period of time where we will likely be paying more per click since we are now considered newbies. My question is, roughly how long does this period last? Do you bounce back to your old rates relatively quickly? Getting users to the most relevant page on our site is obviously important....but maybe not so much if we end up having to pay way more just because I reorganized everything!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: account restructure - how long does it take to "bounce back&q

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi kmHelms and welcome to the Community.

If I may I'd ask you to think in different terms.  Your post makes absolutely no reference to your current ROI (Return on Investment) and this is interesting as it's absolutely, totally, utterly the most important part of your Account.  Before you consider any changes, you need to look at your current ROI and then theorise and experiment with how it may be improved.

You may see a problem with a new structure but equally you may not.  Historical CTR is a component of Quality Score and this affects your real CPC so a new Campaign (with no history) may have a different Quality Score.  However, whether this is a good thing or a bad thing depends upon the existing QS and how good you can make the new structure; current CTR is a more important factor than the history.  I've seen Campaigns limping along with QS figures of 3 & 4/10 where a new Campaign came straight in with 10/10 for most of the Keywords and stayed that way.

So, before you start pulling things apart, can you share some data with us?  What's your typical Quality Scores for your Keywords?  How many Groups and Keywords do you have?  What sort of campaign is it?  Provisioning?  Brand awareness?  What sort of CTR figures are you seeing?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Re: account restructure - how long does it take to "bounce back&a

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,

First off, thanks so much for responding! I'll do my best to answer the questions and provide as much information as possible. As for ROI, even though this account has been active for years, we only recently got conversion tracking codes in place, so we don't have all that much data on the most important part.

For the month of Feb, here are some numbers for the whole account:

Clicks: 17,093

Impressions: 1,009,976

CTR: 1.69%

AVG CPC: $1.65

Cost/Conv.: $1,128.30

Cost: $28,207.46

Keywords: 511

Our quality scores are all over the map. I know we have several 10/10 but we also have some 2/10 and 3/10. I think a majority are in the 4 - 7 range. I didn't see anything that gives me an an account average, but if I did my math right we are at about 5.

Here's a summary of the current account structure: There are 5 active campaigns that are essentially for each website we run, with the exception of one. We sell sporting equipment and have a baseball website, a golf website, and a few others. The campaigns have no real goal, they aren't divided by any strategy or purpose, other than campaign for the baseball website, campaign for the golf site, etc. There are 13 active adgroups which consist of major website navigation categories. Examples: "field maintenance" adgroup has keywords ranging from "baseball bases" and "outfield fencing" to "baseball field rake" under the same group. There are no strategic adgroups in place whatsoever. By this I mean nothing about these adgroups speaks to geographic location, price range or value, softball vs baseball...nothing. Just product groups.

My thoughts: Because we are grouping entire categories of products into one adgroup, we can't possibly be getting the most out of our account. If someone looking for outfield fencing gets the same ad as someone looking for a rake, and taken to the same landing page on our site. We have a page on our site that speaks specifically to fencing and a page that speaks specifically to rakes, so why not break this up? "Field Maintenance" could be an entire campaign, and we could have more specific adgroups that actually speak to what the user is looking for and get them to the right page on our site! Furthermore, our current structure is also limiting (IMHO) in that we are now setting our daily budget for an entire website, rather than product groups. Breaking our campaigns out would allow us to allocate $XX.XX to product groups and have more control on what we are spending where.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Also, I thought about just adding more specific adgroups to our existing campaign structure, but I thought our account would get too unorganized. I figure if I have to move a majority of keywords around anyway, I might as well build from the ground up.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi kmHelms, thanks for the details, it helps a lot.

I must admit I'm more than a tad concerned by your Cost/Conv figure; over $1k, really?  This is an error, surely?  Are you certain your Conversion tracking is actually working?  I'd be expecting figures in mid to low tens of dollars, not over a thousand.

As for Keyword Quality scores it is hard to know where to go when you've got them all over the place.  That you've got some 10s is encouraging as it suggests the potential exists to get a lot more 10s.  I'm usually not happy with any Keyword below a 7, although it's not always possible to achieve this, even in a "perfect" Account (if such a thing exists).

As for the rest of what you've said, I'd say you're spot on with your thinking.  Ad Groups should ideally be focused on one theme only so in your case, yes, I'd be looking at one Group for each product or maybe a small range of very similar products.  I don't know precisely what you sell online so, as an example, if you sold TVs, at the moment it sounds like you've got a single Ad Group for "TVs".  What you should really be doing is having a Group for "LED 40inch 3D TVs", "LED 42inch 3D TVs" and so on.  Get right down to the very lowest denominator.  This way your Ads and your Keywords are tightly focused to your customers.  As I mentioned above, my only concession here is that you might be able to get away with "coming up one level" or so, so you may not need to drill right down to the actual size of the TV (or your equivalent).  All this will depend upon the exact nature of your products and the structure of your site.  You may also find it useful to have some "generic" Groups for people who aren't as precise in their searching.  

In terms of Campaigns, I'd probably be looking at one for TVs, one for Phones, one for Dishwashers (again, replace these with your equivalents).  In other words I'd use Campaigns as the "top level category" of my products.  You may find it useful to have "sub-categories" so a Campaign for 3D TVs and one for "non" 3D, etc.  But this really depends on your actual product list.

Right now I'm going to bet you're thinking - but that would mean 100s of Campaigns and probably 1,000s of Ad Groups for each one and well, yes, it might do.  I have a client with over 18,000 Ad Groups and almost 98,000 Keywords.  It happens.  You're spending almost $30,000 a month and, frankly, I'd wager that a very large percentage of that money has just been poured down the drain if your description of the Account and that Cost/Conv figure is accurate.  When you're spending that much, it's worthwhile doing this properly and that's going to mean a lot of work and a lot of planning, but it'll be worth it.

In your case I might look at opening additional Accounts to manage the different sites.  This isn't something I usually recommend because in most circumstances running more than one Account is a breach of the AdWords Policies but in your case, if each website is totally separate and sells totally distinct products from each other, I think it would be appropriate.  It's not actually necessary (unless you get near to the Account limits on Ad Group numbers, which I doubt) but it would make the accounting a whole lot simpler.

You've had - what - 22 or 23 conversions in February?  How much better off would your company be if for the same spend you could get 200, or 2000?

I don't want to put you off or appear to be criticising you when we've just met Smiley Happy but seriously, has your company not considered hiring a professional manager?  You're spending roughly $360,000 a year on an Account that by the sound of things is going to need almost full-time management - at least in the early stages.  It might be possible to get professional help for just a few months to sort the Account out and give you some guidance.  I really would recommend you consider it.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Jon,

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. No, I am not certain my conversion tracking is working correctly. Our products aren't something you buy on impulse, as a lot of them are over $1,000, so I wouldn't expect a particularly high conversion rate, but maybe this is irrelevant. This account has been active for years and we only got conversion tracking in place this January or February. Also, I don't think these numbers are 100% accurate because the account is for 3 of our websites, but we are only tracking conversions for one. I was told we should not use the same tracking code for more than one website. This leads me to our next topic...

We already do have a professional account manager. I won't throw them completely under the bus, as i'm sure a lot of these decisions were made a long time ago based on instruction from someone in this office, but at some point in time we've headed down the wrong path and I suspect nothing has changed because it's always been that way. To be honest, that's part of why I was so concerned. I'm new to adwords and have just been reading online, and I spotted these problems right off the bat.

I am not at all thrown by your suggestions regarding drilling our groups down. This is exactly what I had in mind. If we are going to be spending this much, we may as well do it in a way that makes the most sense and allows us, and our customers for that matter, to get the most out of our advertising. I'm also not thrown by your criticism, because I didn't set it up Smiley Tongue and, it's what I was thinking anyway! I would love for you to look at our sites to see if multiple accounts would work best for us. I found an email address on your profile and sent a link there. If you don't have time to look at it, no worries. You've been such a great help already.