Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

a question regading keyword list and match types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am interested in creating an ad group "English Tutor", and I'm deciding how to best structure my keyword list so I can capture the search queries of people in my area that need an English tutor. 

Lets say my ad for this ad group would be titled "Private English Tutor". I would like it to target people looking for a private english tutor, but also an english tutor in general (not necessarily private).

So far, I have two keywords, both broad match modifiers.

+english +tutor

+private +english +tutor

Is it bad practice to include both of these keywords? Because if someone were to search for "private english tutor", it would of course match with +private +english +tutor and to my understanding it would also match with +english +tutor because the search query possesses both terms. Would both of these keywords "match" the search query, and would they essentially compete with each other?

Similarly, is there any need to add the phrase match "english tutor" and the exact match [english tutor] to my keyword list because I already have +english +tutor? Because a search query for "english tutor" would match all of these, and would this also cause my keywords within this ad group to "compete" with each other?

Thank you, I am new to Adwords and I apologize if this is an obvious answer.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Linh H
February 2016

Re: a question regading keyword list and match types

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Linh H

No apologies necessary here. For being new, you've cleared a big hurdle by demonstrating you understand how match types work.

What you are describing is overlap. This is not a bad thing. A good reason for doing this is you may find you want to bid higher for English tutor queries that include the word private.  Even if you bid the same, Adwords is smart enough that it will match the query to the most relevant keyword.  So even though that +english +tutor does match for "private english tutor," the ad impression and potential click would be applied to +private +english +tutor.

As for exact and phrase versions the same logic applies.  You don't really need to worry about different match types competing with each other. The only thing you don't want to do is to have multiple instances of the same keyword and match type.  For example, you don't want to have "english tutor" entered twice.   

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Linh H
February 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Linh H

No apologies necessary here. For being new, you've cleared a big hurdle by demonstrating you understand how match types work.

What you are describing is overlap. This is not a bad thing. A good reason for doing this is you may find you want to bid higher for English tutor queries that include the word private.  Even if you bid the same, Adwords is smart enough that it will match the query to the most relevant keyword.  So even though that +english +tutor does match for "private english tutor," the ad impression and potential click would be applied to +private +english +tutor.

As for exact and phrase versions the same logic applies.  You don't really need to worry about different match types competing with each other. The only thing you don't want to do is to have multiple instances of the same keyword and match type.  For example, you don't want to have "english tutor" entered twice.   

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,
Thank you for the response. I have another question regarding this issue if you don't mind.

So I know that Google includes close variants (plurals, stemmings, misspellings, etc.), so would [english tutor] and [english tutors] or even [english tutoring] count as a multiple instances, or are these treated as different and separate keywords? The reason I ask is because when I just had the keyword [english tutor] in the ad group, I noticed by ad was showing up for the search query "english tutor", but when I searched for "english tutoring" my ad did not show up. Do you know what could be the reason for this, and should I include all 3 keywords [english tutor], [english tutors], and [english tutoring] in the ad group?

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, it is very appreciated.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@Linh H

I can't say for certain why your ad is not triggering for tutoring. I think it should qualify for close variant.  To answer your question, I think you are okay sponsoring close variants individually to ensure that your ad serves.  I actually do this myself.  AdWords can be really weird at times.

I just came across one instance of this.  I have [dwi lawyer <city and state>]   and also [dwi lawyers <city and state>].  For whatever reason the singular version is assigned a QS of 3 and says the landing page experience is poor.   The plural version has a QS of 7, and the landing page experience is above average. So in an instance like this, I pause the singular version.   Thanks to the close variants feature I now have a QS of 7 applied to the singular queries instead of a 3.