2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Youtube Placement after changes to channels with under 10,000 views

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been running a display ad campaign on the GDN, targeting several specific placements including Youtube. In March I had 807 clicks from ads that were placed on Youtube. In April, this number dropped down to just 8 clicks. My Leaderboard ad(728x90) appears to be the one most affected by this. I've seen that in April, Youtube stopped showing ads on channels with less than 10,000 views. It seems very likely that this is directly correlated, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced drastic changes like this? What can I tell my client? Is it as simple as: "it appears the majority of our Youtube placements had been on channels with under 10,000 views in March."  Is the ad size relevant to this as well--does this mean that sites with less than 10,000 views were most likely to have leaderboard sized images on their channels?

I'm just looking for any extra details on this situation that I might have missed. It will be an interesting conversation with the client, but I'd just like some confirmation that this was mostly due to the new Youtube changes.

Youtube Placement after changes to channels with under 10,000 views

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Aaron,

I saw the same thing on a couple of my accounts running YouTube campaigns right after the change happened. What we did is pulled the placement reports of where our ads were showing the most before the change. Then we went to those channels and looked at similar/suggested videos to watch that YouTube was recommending. If any of those channels had a lot of views and were very relevant to our target audience, we added those new channels as direct placements. Might help grow relevant awareness again.