4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a keyword that 5400 people per month search for. I also have an old campaign on that keyword that ran fine from 10/1/10 to 4/30/11.

I wanted to restart the campaign, It is enabled, but not showing up when I search on that search term, and the adwords diagnosis and preview page give the following message "Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now due to a low Ad Rank. Ads are ranked based on your bid and Quality Score".

I've tried raising the bid ridiculously high, with no effect. There isn't even any competition for this keyword.

Any ideas? Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi paracletepress, and welcome to the forum.  Can you share what your Quality Score is for a particular keyword?  (You may need to customise the columns shown in your Adwords interface).

Having "no competition" is actually not usually a good sign since in most cases it indicates that other advertisers have attempted to use the keyword in the past and found it ineffective.  High CPC prices and poor Quality Scores (with little apparent competition) are Google's way of telling you that the keyword probably isn't going to work very well.

We may be able to give you a more detailed answer if you can give us some more information about your site and the product or service you're promoting.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The term (with some variants) is Jesus Creed: jesus creed, "jesus creed" [jesus creed} etc....

They rank either 4/10 or 5/10.

It's a book (series) we publish, market and sell along with many other products. The author is a well know blogger (w/in his blogging community), and his name gets searched more like 8100 per month. It's definitely a niche - which I believe would explain the lack of competition.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hiya,

Have you tired A/B testing:

http://search.paracletepress.com/default.aspx?vwcatalog=yhst-38174537758215&keywords=jesus+creed&mpp...

vs.

http://www.paracletepress.com/the-jesus-creed.html

I'm seeing your ad...

The Jesus Creed - Loving God, Loving Others
www.paracletepress.com/
Transform Your Life - Scot McKnight

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi paracletepress, I would suggest you may have a big problem with the broad match keyword.  As I'm sure you know, broad match keywords will trigger Ads for any of the words in the keyword.  "Jesus" is a pretty big draw on the Net and if your Ad(s) are triggering for each search containing this word, your CTR (click through rate) figures are going to be appalling.

I'd suggest sticking to phrase or exact matches only (or possibly modified broad).

Jon

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

-edited with less assumptions Smiley Happy-

for better CTR I would add the price in the adtext and a call to action.

+ since the keyword doesn't seem to be very competitive, I would recommend to use the whole 34 characters limit of description line 1 and end it with a (dot)...

By doing so, your ad might from time to time display the description line 1 in the headline...

(also seeing that you seel related products on your site, why not try sitelinking?)

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

We don't actually know that the OP is the only person bidding on the keyword sifalio, please don't make assumptions.  I, for example, don't see their Ad but do see one from Amazon UK.  Neither is it certain that their Ad will display above the organic results merely because it is the only Ad chosen at that instance.  The criteria for display in the top position takes into account other factors than merely Ad Rank.

Jon