AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now due to

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have started a Google Grant AdWords campaign recently (about two days ago).

It worked well and I was enjoyed.

But then it was closed for "maintenance" (I don't remember the exact word Google used to describe "maintenance".) After about a day maintenance seemingly ended.

But now I have another problem: Google says "Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now due to a low Ad Rank. Ads are ranked based on your bid and Quality Score." for seemingly every of my 355 keywords and so the account is stale. Many of my keywords have 6/10 (and maybe above, I have not checked every keyword) rank and I could expect this is enough to show.

I've called AdWords support. They have said me that I should remove broad match keywords like Bible and also for three keywords like Bible translation, "Bible translation", and [Bible translation] leave only one of the three.

Will it really help if I follow the Google employee's advice (described above).

What do you recommend me? I wait for your reply before starting disabling broad keywords. Please give me advice.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now du

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Victor,

Most of the time you get a warning for low Ad Rank it is because your bids are deemed too low, your ads aren't well-written enough to describe the landing page and keywords or your website is not relevant or doesn't match the ads. A lot of time this warning can be eradicated by increasing your bids. Some users have even said they had to raise bids above what Google deems first page position in order for the warning to be removed. I would also suggest sticking with phrase and exact match keywords only until you build up more authority but you can always use broad-match modified keywords like +bible +translation that makes them closer to phrase match and less generalistic. Try looking at pausing broad or adding the "+" modifiers first, revamp your ad copy, raise bids and make sure your landing pages answer the questions your keywords pose and then have Google re-review your account.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
My bid is $2 maximum for Google Grants. $2 is quite high (I am not in car, real estate, or insurance industry).

My ad texts are quite relevant for landing pages.

What "+" does? I didn't hear anything about "+" in AdWords.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Victor,

Adding modified broad match keywords can increase campaign clicks and conversions, while providing more precise control than broad match. Modified broad match lets you specify that certain broad match keyword terms, or their close variants, must appear to trigger your ad. Close variants include misspellings, singular/plural forms, abbreviations and acronyms, and stemmings (such as "floor" and "flooring"). Variants don't include synonyms or related searches.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497828?hl=en

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Victor P

On the page that @Jordan Burleson provided is a link under 'Next Steps' section for 'Understand more about the broad match modifier' that goes in to more details and provides examples using the "+".

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Are your ad text as relevant as your think? $2 is already a large cost, so it has to be your ad quality. Run your landing page through a keyword density checker and see if any of those words are being used in your ad text. What you find ought to help you massage either the ad and/or the landing page.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I have several landing pages and I think ads are very relevant for them.

I have two ad groups. One ad group contains 17 ads and another one two ads. In the first (big) group there are different ads, some of which differ only with "let us" vs "let's us", but there are also different topics directed to different landing pages.

Note that "Default Max. CPC" is now "auto: $0.60" (not sure why Google lowered it automatically).

I think this is a Google bug. I wrote them two emails about the bug.

Where to get a keyword density checker? (and what it is?)

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager

Hi Victor,

Thanks for posting to the Community!

This does not sound like a bug. The change in your Max CPC is due to the fact that you are on automatic, "maximize clicks" bidding. This bidding strategy automatically adjusts your keyword bids in order to try and maximize the clicks you get each day.

Typically you don't need more than four or five ads in an ad group--you'll find that only a few of them get shown as the system optimizes your account for the ads that get the most clicks. If you have ads and keywords related to different topics all in the same ad group, you'll need to separate these out into separate ad groups. AdWords doesn't automatically match your keyword to the ad that's most closely related, so you need to have separate groups of ads that can match to each group of keywords.

Lastly, contrary to @Hoang P's suggestion I do not recommend changing your landing pages to fill them with more keywords. The important thing as far as your landing page goes is making sure it's easy to navigate and relevant, based on what a user clicked on. Ex. If I search for "red shoes," I should end up on a landing page that shows me a selection of red shoes.

I'd highly recommend learning more about AdWords campaign structure, and using keyword match types like both @Jordan Burleson and @RobertCoats suggested above!

Hope this helps you get started!

Cassie