AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

YouTube Trueview Retargeting Options in DBM

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys, 

We're running a YouTube preroll campaign where we're trying to show prerolls with cascaded messages, so first the user should see video 1, then video 2 and so on. We're doing this by remarketing AdGroup Video 2 to users that have seen video 1 (Viewed_Video01), at the same time excluding Viewed_Video01 list from AdGroup Video 1, so that the user doesn't see the same video twice. 

Now, we are aware that TrueView audiences need at least 100 tagged users to work. So we blew out a few thousand impressions on all videos, and they all have around 1000 TrueView views now. However, in the TrueView Audiences tab the numbers aren't updating, and the cascading still doesn't seem to be working: We're retargeting Video 01 to a Floodlight tag on our website, so we can test it, but the order the prerolls show in isn't correct. 

Does anybody have any experience with a setup like this? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: YouTube Trueview Retargeting Options in DBM

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
I've done a lot of in-stream ads, but never tried to setup anything like you've described. I'm interested in helping you figure it out though.
The fact that you are seeing them out of order is puzzling. If you see Video 2 first, then based on your targeting that means you are already on the list for Video 1, right? Maybe try clearing your cookies or using a different browser with no history of viewing the videos to see if the out of order problem remains?

As for the list size not increasing, did you use "Viewed Certain Video" or "Viewed Certain Video as Ad?" If the former, I'm wondering if it matters that you built the list with views from ads. I'm guessing you and any colleagues working on the project with you have viewed the videos on their respective watch page.

Re: YouTube Trueview Retargeting Options in DBM

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the response! We are testing in incognito windows, so there should be no interference from past interactions with Youtube or our website. We chose "Viewed Certain Video as Ad" for the lists, but yeah as you said, for video 2 I would have to be on the list Viewed_Video01, but it's not possible since I open a new incognito window each time I test it I just feel like the TrueView targetings are extremely unreliable... It sucks because the campaign is supposed to launch on Monday, and the message cascading is an integral part of it. I'd rather Google didn't offer the option of those targetings instead of having them not work the way they're supposed to.