Guide Me
star_border

Year over year performance

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I recently took over a search and display account from another agency and the client is asking why our search campaign is not performing as well as it was in past years when it comes to impressions and clicks. So far I have been delivering 3-7x lower impressions and 2-3x less clicks that some of the campaigns that have been run in the past. I've check the settings, I've talked to Google and they said that the campaigns look OK, but I am also wondering what these other agencies have been doing in order to generate massive impressions and clicks in the past year. I know there are a lot of settings and information, if you need more information I will be more than happy to share everything possible. Jst let me know! Any insight would be great. 

Here is a link to the past performance of the other agencies vs. what I am doing now.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82998211/spend.JPG

Re: Year over year performance

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey there!

This is interesting! It's worth me pointing you to some useful segments and dimensions so you can check where those impressions and clicks were coming from:

1. View campaigns in AdWords
2. Select All Time as your date range
3. Filter to view ALL campaigns (including deleted ones)
4. Add segment > time > year
5. Sort by impressions descending.

This will show you which campaigns were bringing in huge numbers of impressions in those years. Perhaps it's the case that they had campaigns bringing in a lot of impressions and clicks but were deleted.

You can also use this to pinpoint the biggest drops for individual campaigns still running, and then drill into Ad Group and Keyword level.

I hope this helps!

Ali

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you. I have information from 2013 and then the last couple years I don't have information as the other agency didn't give that information up. Google set up the campaign in 2013 and they had broked it out into many different search campaigns each with it's own budget (screenshot below). We don't have budgets to give to each campaign, so all the different programs are in one search campaign and not broken out like they were last time and they used a lot of broad based keywords and this time around we have more broad modified. Maybe that is why?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82998211/search.JPG

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi!

If the agency were using the account from 2013, any and all keywords, ads, ad groups and campaigns should be visible in the account.

If you look into the ones you screengrabbed for us, so you see a lot of broad matches, etc? Apply this segmentation to the search queries area too for an idea of the terms being seen in that time (remember to set ad group and keyword views to "all" before you do so.

Ali

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Let me see what was being searched for and I'll get back to you. Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I looked at the search terms from last time and I have many of the same terms in my campaign this year. One thing I found is that the budget in 2013 was almost $20K this year it is $9K total, so I am sure that has something to do with it. The 2013 campaign was set to manual CPC this year it is set to Maximize clicks, which I am not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Simplest explanation was more spend and more broad matches.

It's happened to me often - "we had more clicks" and then when I run an analysis like you've just done I determine that there was more spend, but on often irrelevant terms and for bigger budgets. CPA should be lower at any rate - more efficient management of campaigns is far better than going for clicks clicks clicks.

Do you think you have an answer your client will understand?

Ali

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I agree! I am trying to educate them that impressions and clicks aren't the end of the world. We need to look the CPC and CTR as well. I think that this will help a lot, and thank you your assistance!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Suken S
June 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Happy analysing! Smiley Very Happy