Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Writing Ad text to appeal to the US market

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi 

I'm starting work on a new PPC campaign targeting the US market. I just wondered if different language, calls to action appealed to US customers in comparison to the UK market? If anyone has any experience or advice that would be great. Thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Writing Ad text to appeal to the US market

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Vicky,

As both the countries have English as their official language, so how you can change the language.

Call to action is the most important thing that make user take action on your ad or simply click your ad.
So I suggest you to always test and try 'call to action' within your ads, not for different countries but within the ads of same adgroup.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;

American English is not the same as British English.

Have an American native speaker write (or at least review) the ad-copy.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi,

I apologise for this, there are Australian, US and UK English Available.
thanks @MosheTLV

And yes @Vicky, using CTA/adcopy in native language will impact the click behaviour.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @vicky s for the most part, the differences between UK and US English are confined to spellings and word meanings that will probably be familiar to you if you've watched enough US TV!  In my experience things like calls to action tend to be very similar but there can be variations so the best approach is probably simply to rotate test Ads just as you would for any other Campaign, searching for the ones that provide the best performance.  Bear in mind that using a specifically US phraseology may not necessarily produce the best results; an Ad that has a UK "tone" may appeal to your buyers (although I'd always recommend using US spellings).  If the product is one particularly well known in the UK but not the US, you could even take advantage of this in your campaigns, leveraging that UK origin.

You should also probably look at languages other than English.  The US has a large Spanish-speaking population and other languages can be common in other areas, so consider whether it's worth expanding into these languages as well.

As with any US-based campaign structure, I'd strongly advise splitting your Campaigns by time zone (to ensure time reporting makes sense) and to use individual State targets rather than the US as a whole (to allow for variations in performance by State, which can be surprisingly marked). 

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @vicky s

In my experience it is very important not to underestimate the differences between different 'English' I am from New Zealand and we operate in NZ as well as Australia and UK.

Things are different, this is not just important for ad copy as per your question but also very important for keyword research.

An Example: client builds boats out of aluminium, in NZ we call these 'aluminium boats' and 'tinnies' whereas in AUS the main keyword terms are 'plate boats' as they are made out of aluminium plating.

If we had assumed that our AUS cousins were the same as us we would have done our client a great disservice - and NZ and AUS are far closer culturally and in language than UK and USA - yet these differences can be major.

Common words used like 'aluminium vs plate' boats matter, spelling clearly matters, additionally colloquialisms also matter, finally tone matters - different areas use different tone. this can be important for landing pages - common example US vs UK sense of humour can be very different. Also 'UK & US' huge places there can be state by state /area by area variations also.

ALWAYS have a local speaker review your ad copy and landing pages and prior to that I would try to include a local speaker to brainstorm for keyword research.

I hope some of this helps Smiley Happy

-------------------------
If you liked my answer best please 'mark as accepted answer & star' if I was helpful but not the best please 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply.

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager

@vicky s  and all, 

Here are some international advertising best practices shared by our Community experts which has some good tips for English variations too. Check it out and see if it helps. 

Best, 

Mini