AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Would I fall under "duplicate content" penalty using this strategy?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey everyone,

Would my landing page get flagged as duplicate content in this scenario:

Ad Group #1:

• Keyword = this is my keyword 1
  • Ad display URL = www.testpage.com/this-is-my-keyword-1
  • Ad destination URL = www.testpage.com/landing-page/&kw=this-is-my-keyword-1
  • Landing Page = Uses methods to dynamically place "this is my keyword 1" in various places throughout the content
  • Lading Page = <meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow"> ... so basically it's not being indexed by Google organically.

Ad Group #2:

• Keyword = this is my keyword 2
  • Ad display URL = www.testpage.com/this-is-my-keyword-2
  • Ad destination URL = www.testpage.com/landing-page/&kw=this-is-my-keyword-2
  • Landing Page = Uses methods to dynamically place "this is my keyword 2" in various places throughout the content
  • Lading Page = <meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow"> ... so basically it's not being indexed by Google organically.

Both landing pages have the exact same content, except for the dynamically inserted keywords throughout various places of the ad. Since I'm setting up a noindex, nofollow -- will Google penalize for duplicate content?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michal B
June 2016

Re: Would I fall under "duplicate content" penalty using this strategy?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Duplicate content on your own site won't be a problem. You can promote 10 pages which all contain the same content, as long as it is your unique content. Many advertisers do this for A/B testing of images and colors etc.

Your site could get a low quality score if it has content that was copied from someone else's site, or is appearing on multiple sites.

For example, if you are an Amazon affiliate, and your website mostly consists of product information that also appears on Amazon, that could be a problem.

Google expects a different shopping experience from each of the ads shown for a particular query.

If you are using content from other sites in Google's index, there's no way to hide this from Google and have your ads run.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Michal,

I think you are confusing AdWords ads and SEO.

Penalties for duplicate content is something that happens to the organic rankings of websites if they copy content from another website. This is an SEO problem.

In AdWords (assuming you only have one AdWords account) there is no problem with having ads pointing to the same URLs or the same content.

noindex, nofollow will cause problems in AdWords - see this previous answer:
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/Ad-disapproved-Robots-txt/td-p/339210

And in case you were wondering, organic results do not affect ads, and ads do not affect organic results.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Actually, duplicate content isn't recommended in Adwords and decreases the landing page quality score. If you read "Quality Score in High Resolution" by Craig Danuloff, he speaks about the penalties with bad landing pages quite extensively.

See "Templated websites or pre-generated websites that provide duplicate content to users" on https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?hl=en
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michal B
June 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Duplicate content on your own site won't be a problem. You can promote 10 pages which all contain the same content, as long as it is your unique content. Many advertisers do this for A/B testing of images and colors etc.

Your site could get a low quality score if it has content that was copied from someone else's site, or is appearing on multiple sites.

For example, if you are an Amazon affiliate, and your website mostly consists of product information that also appears on Amazon, that could be a problem.

Google expects a different shopping experience from each of the ads shown for a particular query.

If you are using content from other sites in Google's index, there's no way to hide this from Google and have your ads run.