Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Words that show up in multiple search query variations

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

Firstly, I'm a bit of a noob to Adwords but slowly working it out.

In my Adwords campaigns I seem to have a handful of single words that are appearing in multiple search query variations which are important to my business but not on their own.

I have added them to the negative keyword group in each campaign as "Exact match" for the individual keywords. Is this correct?

Is there anyway of completely stopping my keywords appearing in non related searches?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Many thanks,

Nerrad

Re: Words that show up in multiple search query variations

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Nerrad,

You're a spot on. Add them as exact negative matches and this should stop your ads from appearing for them. I would continue to run search query reports and add negative keywords when necessary.

Another option is to get a little more targeted with some of the keywords you are targeting. Use modified broad match, phrase or exact instead of setting all at broad match. 

Thanks,

BI

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Words that show up in multiple search query variations

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi BI,

Thanks for your reply.

There aren't many of my keywords/phrases that are set to "broad match". Most are targeted to "phrase" or "exact" match.

The reports that I'm getting nearly every time show 4 of my most important words apparently being shown in multiple searches which aren't related to my business and is obviously costing me money.

I will continue to run reports and see how they get on.

Thanks,

Nerrad